PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't compile gimp, can't find libglib

Mark20
January 11th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to compile gimp on ubuntu 9.10 and I'm stuck during the ./configure stage I'm getting the following:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.24.0... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means

The config.log complains that it's missing glib.h.

After verifying that I have the development library I'm still getting this problem. I did the following and saw that both libglib, and the development library showed the state "INSTALLED":

aptitude show libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-dev

Despite this, I can't find the .pc file for libglib2.0-dev anywhere:

mark@mark-home:~/workspace/gimpsrc/gimp-2.7.1$ find /usr -name *.pc | grep glib*
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/ndesk-dbus-glib-1.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-sharp-2.0.pc
/usr/share/pkgconfig/taglib-sharp.pc

If aptitude shows libglib2.0-dev installed the pc file must exist somewhere... anyone have any ideas as to how to verify that libglib2.0-dev is installed correctly?

Thanks,
Mark

ikt
January 11th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to compile gimp on ubuntu 9.10 and I'm stuck during the ./configure stage I'm getting the following:

Any reason why you're trying to install gimp from source instead of via the repos?

Also do you have build-essential installed?

lykeion
January 11th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Have you checked that you installed all the required dev packages to compile: http://www.gimp.org/source/
And also the packages needed to compile software: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware

But if you would like the easy way to get the latest svn version of GIMP there is a PPA here:
https://launchpad.net/~matthaeus123/+archive/mrw-gimp-svn?field.series_filter=karmic

Mark20
January 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the replies so far,

@ikt
Yes I'm interested in testing some color filter algorithms I've been working on and I figured gimp would be an quick and easy way to test the algorithms by simply making a plugin and running it in gimp. I'm not sure if I have build-essentials installed, I'll check when I get home.

@lykeion
Yeah I made sure I had installed all of the requirements, however like I said I'm not convinced that libglib2.0-dev is installed correctly since the .pc file is not installed anywhere on my system, and during ./configure the libglib2.0-dev package is not found anywhere.

Is there a way to find out where an installed package's .pc file is located? Any other ideas?

Mark

Mark20
January 12th, 2011, 03:36 AM
This is now resolved.

libglib was actually installed correctly the whole time but I did not have a new enough version of libglib/libgtk. I'm guessing -dev packages do not have corresponding .pc files.

I then attempted to fix the sources.list file to grab the newer libglib/libgtk however the newer versions are not available yet and I didn't feel like wasting another hour trying to hack together a system with the new packages manually so I downloaded an earlier version of gimp and everything builds fine now :)

Mark

gmargo
January 12th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Is there a way to find out where an installed package's .pc file is located?

$ dpkg -L libglib2.0-dev | grep '\.pc$'
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gobject-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gmodule-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gmodule-export-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gmodule-no-export-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gthread-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gio-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gio-unix-2.0.pc

(this list is from 10.10 Maverick)