PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Looking for a theme

Primer_2011
January 11th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Hello everyone, so I just recently downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 coming from a windows 7 its really different but I am having fun so far. Just looking for an awesome theme. Was wondering if anyone could recommend any. I would like it to be transparent light blue with a outline, it would be really cool to have a hacker theme, I dont really know what a hacker theme would look like, anyways im sure there are other people that have looked for or found or made one that would be really awesome. Thanks for replies

Looking for:
Dark light blue theme transparent. Also i like the idea of the dock that i seen in some of the youtube videos.

Also is there a program that tells me when i got new mail? I was looking for something that monitors my hotmail account, gmail, and yahoo. Would be cool to log onto computer and it says, Hello, Josh, You got new mail and i just click it and it opens my mail, and then while im messing around on my computer if i get new mail it would do the same. Thanks : )

mrkazoodle
January 11th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Hello everyone, so I just recently downloaded Ubuntu 10.10 coming from a windows 7 its really different but I am having fun so far. Just looking for an awesome theme. Was wondering if anyone could recommend any. I would like it to be transparent light blue with a outline, it would be really cool to have a hacker theme, I dont really know what a hacker theme would look like, anyways im sure there are other people that have looked for or found or made one that would be really awesome. Thanks for replies

Looking for:
Dark light blue theme transparent. Also i like the idea of the dock that i seen in some of the youtube videos.

Also is there a program that tells me when i got new mail? I was looking for something that monitors my hotmail account, gmail, and yahoo. Would be cool to log onto computer and it says, Hello, Josh, You got new mail and i just click it and it opens my mail, and then while im messing around on my computer if i get new mail it would do the same. Thanks : )

Here (http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=101&PHPSESSID=88a9503b40c777a0ea89a68270b3e3e6) you can find themes for Metacity (= default window manager in ubuntu; it takes care of the borders of your windows and other stuff).
If you want a really shiny desktop: start learning about Compiz, it is a substitute for Metacity (it's famous for its desktop cube effect).

That dock you're talking about is probably AWN (Avant Window Navigator), Cairo Dock or maybe Docky. I'd say there's no harm in trying them all :).

For your last question: I'm not familiar with yahoo, but I know hotmail only supports the pop3 protocol (so you'd have to make sure the message isn't deleted on the server if you want to access it through webmail or mail client on another computer/OS) and Gmail supports imap (besides pop3).
If you're fine with Evolution I'd recommend to check that program out since it makes use of the messaging menu. I know there are other solutions, but they don't include a mail client, I don't know what you prefer. I think most of these use the messaging menu: gmail-notify, popper, mail-notification, Cloudsn...

Learn to use your best friend on the internet: Google.

Frogs Hair
January 11th, 2011, 02:50 PM
If you are interested in transparent widow borders you may want to consider Emerald themes. Emerald is in the software center. http://compiz-themes.org/index.php?xcontentmode=103

OldSmoky2
January 12th, 2011, 03:54 AM
If you haven't already, check out the Bisigi themes at bisigi-project.org. They are varied and really, really nice. And as a newbie, sort-of, (less than a year from Mac), I've learned it's very easy, once you install a theme, to play with it in the System>Preferences>Appearance menus. Install a theme, then click "Customize" there and you can change the icon set, borders, colors and controls to really personalize it. Right now, for example, I'm using Bisigi's Eco theme, but tweaked a few colors, changed to a Faenza icon set from another theme and installed a wallpaper from some other theme.
As for the email thing, I haven't used either one, but if you install Screenlets from the Software Center (or Synaptic), I see that it has a GMail notifier screenlet and a more general email notifier screenlet that might give you what you're looking for.

yojoe
January 12th, 2011, 04:54 AM
if you go to gnome-look.org theres alot of good themes just to start out though download gtk 1.x or gtk 2.x, and evolution is great, but free versions of yahoo dont support imap or pop servers... and btw, have fun with ubuntu!!! lol

rvchari
January 12th, 2011, 05:23 AM
orta is a good theme that can be customized to suit your panel shade / needs. also use saturglass metacity theme for ur window borders. this theme also has an option to tweak ur top panel to suit ur window border... glossy with different shades...

did that just a while back and desktop looks gr8...
for ur info orta is available on ppa so it can b easily installed thru ubuntu software center...

pbpersson
January 12th, 2011, 05:35 AM
You might want to take a look at this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=809695&highlight=awesome+desktop)

staf0048
January 12th, 2011, 05:55 AM
This site:

http://www.bisigi-project.org/?page_id=6&lang=en

has several well developed complete themes that I find very eye pleasing. Not sure if it's *exactly* what you're looking for, but thought I'd throw it out there.

As for the dock, check out cairo-dock. It can be found in Synaptic or the Software Center.