PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My Install

Stephan Wong
January 11th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Hello all

I been using linux on and off for awhile and my skill level is not that great. I had Ubuntu 9.10 installed on an older Pentium IV 3.0ghz using a nVidia video card.

9.10 was working great and I been using it lightly, when I upgraded to 10.10, I had intermittent video problems. The problem was that I had a black screen of nothingness. So thinking that the upgrade had failed I decided to use the 10.10 live cd to reload the entire operating system. Once I inserted the Live CD the screen went blank during installation. I using a KVM switch to switch these 2 computers to a Windows 7 Machine so I know my monitor is not bad and I can see bios screens. So I reformat and loaded 9.10 - no problem there video works fine. So using the software center I proceeded to upgraded to 10.10 LTS again. Same result after it finished installing. Black Screen. This time I was given a clue of what was going on. I can hear the Ubuntu drums, play through my speakers -- at full volume really loud in 3am.

So I started to change some settings in Grub and and setting different VGA vesa modes ( 711, 786 and etc). None of it worked tried so many different version. Out of desperation I booted one more time heard the extremely loud Ubuntu drums and I hit enter type my password and the screen appeared. I can now see the desktop. I restart and It was back to the same result.

I was able to update and set Ubuntu to use the nVidia drivers, since then I had no problem seeing the login screens. So I was able to tell that the login screen was running out of my frequency range and the normal desktop was not. So I guess my real question is there anyway I can control the login screen resolution. Or maybe I am crazy.

Thanks all..

Antarctica32
January 11th, 2011, 03:27 AM
For some reason I had the compulsion to tell you that everything you said made no sense at all to me. I felt like a complete noob reading it. I didn't know it was even possible that the frequency of the desktop could be incorrect but the frequency of the login screen fine. I will probably regret posting this in a few minutes...