PDA

View Full Version : When is it time to buy a new computer?

TeoBigusGeekus
January 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Saw this on reddit today; hilarious...
http://www.ninjapirate.com/article/buynewcomputer

jerenept
January 10th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Specs:
3Thz (24 x 8 x 4) 4GHZ XEON CPUs, 8MB Cache, 1600mhz FSB
6TB (24 x 8 x 8 x 4 x 1GB) ECC RAM
576TB (576 x 1TB) LaCie 15k rpm HDD

do want (imagine the folding I could do on that :) :P

Grenage
January 10th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Amusing. :)

TeoBigusGeekus
January 10th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Specs:
3Thz (24 x 8 x 4) 4GHZ XEON CPUs, 8MB Cache, 1600mhz FSB
6TB (24 x 8 x 8 x 4 x 1GB) ECC RAM
576TB (576 x 1TB) LaCie 15k rpm HDD

do want (imagine the folding I could do on that :) :P

Screw this! I want google!!!

Shpongle
January 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Amusing. :)

++

TeoBigusGeekus
January 10th, 2011, 10:50 PM
You should also check the other articles on this nutter's site.

witeshark17
January 10th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Wow... a high intensity heater that can use the internet and do other other comuter fun! :popcorn:

Hur Dur
January 10th, 2011, 11:08 PM
My computer is a jaguar. I have to chase it down just to use it.

MisterGaribaldi
January 10th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Oh, I definitely want a Google. I'll betcha you can really open a Notepad document quickly on that.

mamamia88
January 11th, 2011, 01:57 AM
when the old one is no longer capable of doing what you want at a reasonable speed. mine main computer is a 4 years old and unless it completely breaks i won't be replacing it soon. That and i'm broke. i really want to build a gaming rig but i simply can't afford it right now.

Dustin2128
January 11th, 2011, 02:41 AM
when you start getting low framerates on nethack.

DogMatix
January 11th, 2011, 03:10 AM
That site is what the internet is all about :)

jerenept
January 11th, 2011, 03:37 AM
when you start getting low framerates on nethack.

Considering that a 386 could probably get 70fps in nethack.... :P

GabrielYYZ
January 11th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Huge CPU taxing programs, such as MS Paint and Word, cannot run smoothly on any machine bought before late 2006.

the funny thing is that it's not that far from the truth.:lolflag:

EDIT: laughing this much isn't healthy i think

So, the question is - how do you know when to buy?
Here's a guide on how to know if you need to invest in a brand new computer:

- Do you own a Mac?

If you answered 'yes' to any of those questions, it's definitely time to hit the stores for a new PC.

Endomancer
January 11th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I want a Google, but I doubt it will fit in my lounge room :lolflag:

Finalfantasykid
January 11th, 2011, 08:09 AM
That was one of the funniest things I have read in a while...

"Cons: Low hard drive space (only holds 778,000 songs)."

"Cons: Relatively low processing power. Might lag with several thousand Firefox tabs."

"you won't have to upgrade for at least half a year"

"Multiple instances of minesweeper"

lmao

NMFTM
January 11th, 2011, 08:12 AM
<rant>
The sad part is, a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 with 512MB of RAM running Ubuntu 9.04 won't cut it for browsing MySpace. In 2009 before I migrated to Facebook and built a new computer I would go onto MySpace and either the Flash media would make everything extremely clunky/laggy or the Java based photo uploader would cause my computer to freeze for up to 5 minutes before I could actually upload photos. To their credit, there was a "use the old simple uploader" button. But, it often didn't give me a choice. The Java uploader (completely unnecessary IMO) would notify me that it was loading on the same screen that contained the link to access the old uploader. So, if I wasn't able to click the link within a fraction of a second into the "upload photos" page, I had to wait it out. But that's just MySpace for you, one of the most poorly programmed websites I've ever come across. Also to their credit, I don't remember if I was able to Ctrl+Alt+F5 into Bash mode and kill -9 the Firefox and/or Java processes. I don't think I was but my memory could be rusty.
</rant>

Lensman
January 11th, 2011, 12:11 PM
What a hoot! (The sushi would be a plus, however.)

TeoBigusGeekus
January 11th, 2011, 12:16 PM
<rant>
The sad part is, a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 with 512MB of RAM running Ubuntu 9.04 won't cut it for browsing MySpace. In 2009 before I migrated to Facebook and built a new computer I would go onto MySpace and either the Flash media would make everything extremely clunky/laggy or the Java based photo uploader would cause my computer to freeze for up to 5 minutes before I could actually upload photos. To their credit, there was a "use the old simple uploader" button. But, it often didn't give me a choice. The Java uploader (completely unnecessary IMO) would notify me that it was loading on the same screen that contained the link to access the old uploader. So, if I wasn't able to click the link within a fraction of a second into the "upload photos" page, I had to wait it out. But that's just MySpace for you, one of the most poorly programmed websites I've ever come across. Also to their credit, I don't remember if I was able to Ctrl+Alt+F5 into Bash mode and kill -9 the Firefox and/or Java processes. I don't think I was but my memory could be rusty.
</rant>

Read his article (http://www.ninjapirate.com/article/firefox-sucks) about Firefox...

s1wood
January 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM
When you can't get any more spare parts off ebay!

Susan

TeoBigusGeekus
January 13th, 2011, 07:42 PM
when the old one is no longer capable of doing what you want at a reasonable speed. mine main computer is a 4 years old and unless it completely breaks i won't be replacing it soon. That and i'm broke. i really want to build a gaming rig but i simply can't afford it right now.
My pc has just had its birthday these Christmas Holidays: 7 years old.

TeoBigusGeekus
January 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
derp

micha8l
January 13th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Until the price of upgrading outweighs the price of buy a new PC. And when you do buy a new PC, use the old one as a server or something.

It does help to keep procrastination tool separate from work tool, this is where the open-source xbox-360 console comes in -- man we have it good these days.

Spice Weasel
January 13th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Whenever your current computer is incapable of doing what you want it to do.

Endomancer
January 13th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I think it's getting about time to replace my 7yr old machine
lately it seems to have become really pedantic about new thermal paste, I give it new thermal paste and it will run great for about 1-1.5 months then it will really start slowing down and get noisy fan until I give it new paste