PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.10 startx does not work on Dell LATITUDE E5510

jibouille
January 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Hello!

I'm trying to install the magnificent ubuntu 10.10 on my brand new Dell LATITUDE E5510. The installation works fine. I installed it with a working internet connexion ... so the drivers should be there.

Then when booting, the GUI does not start I get the console instead...
I tried several things:

- run startx --> I get a blank screen where even CTRL+ALT+F1 does not work anymore

-
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
--> just returns without anything on the screen, no error no nothing

- run in failsafeX mode, I get:

Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode
Your screen, graphics card, and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure them yourself.
Then I get the login page but it doesn't go any further, when I type my login/password it comes back to the login page...

When I do:
lspci | grep VGA
I get :
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev02)

That's all I could see... apart from that I'm not getting any error messages and I'm really stuck..:(

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: I'm running on intel Celeron 32 bit, I have checked the checksum of my CD...

jibouille
January 10th, 2011, 05:49 PM
....bump? No idea of what I could try?

Kirboosy
January 10th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Ok so from my experience with the Ubuntu installer is it breaks itself when you let it update and install drivers. Try reinstalling Ubuntu but don't connect it to the internet. Once you are installed and on your desktop then you can update it and get the drivers.

System-->Administration-->Update Manager

jibouille
January 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Ok so from my experience with the Ubuntu installer is it breaks itself when you let it update and install drivers. Try reinstalling Ubuntu but don't connect it to the internet. Once you are installed and on your desktop then you can update it and get the drivers.

System-->Administration-->Update Manager

Thanks ! I'll try that right now.

jibouille
January 10th, 2011, 06:27 PM
No ... this is unfortunately not working... exactly the same symptoms after re installation.... thanks for trying though :)

Any other idea?

Kirboosy
January 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Is this the first time you have tried to install any version of Ubuntu on this computer?

jibouille
January 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM
yes it's the first time ... worked fine with my previous Dell... I don't get it. Anyway going to try to install 10.04... I'll let you know

Cheers

jibouille
January 10th, 2011, 07:44 PM
It works with ubuntu 10.04 ! ... A bit disappointed though... :(

Kirboosy
January 10th, 2011, 07:49 PM
since its working properly in 10.04 just try to update it to 10.10 via Update Manager. It might have something that will fix it. idk for sure. I know my Dell has had problems with video since 10.04. It runs great on 9.10 but now its terrible