PDA

View Full Version : i have an idea for a distro, but....

u-noob-tu
January 10th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I havent the faintest idea of where to start. im not a programmer (i will be taking classes soon, but until then, i know nothing), but i think i have a really good idea for a linux distribution. im not looking to start right away, but i am looking for tips on where and how to start, and what kind of stuff i will need. if anybody has tips or even would like to take up the project please post and let me know.

WRDN
January 10th, 2011, 02:28 PM
You don't need any programming knowledge to create a Linux distribution.

Distributions are basically the Linux kernel, with goodies installed on top of it. I would recommend you pick a small distribution, and build yours on top of that. For example, you may pick Debian as the base system, then add and remove packages as you see fit.
If you want more control, you may even opt for something like Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/), where [literally] everything is installed manually.

fatality_uk
January 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I havent the faintest idea of where to start. im not a programmer (i will be taking classes soon, but until then, i know nothing), but i think i have a really good idea for a linux distribution. im not looking to start right away, but i am looking for tips on where and how to start, and what kind of stuff i will need. if anybody has tips or even would like to take up the project please post and let me know.

I would suggest offering what skills you can to an exiting project. There are many, many distors and probably as many are Ubuntu re-spins and unless your distro will offer something that NO-ONE in any other distro is offering right now, then it's highly unlikely that you will get people queuing to offer their services.

Once you understand how to make a distro, then unleash yours onto the World!

KingYaba
January 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I would suggest offering what skills you can to an exiting project.

I second this suggestion.

Paqman
January 10th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I havent the faintest idea of where to start.

Creating a customised version of Ubuntu (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization) is very doable. Just make sure you pay lots of attention to boring things like testing before you go releasing things onto the unsuspecting interweb. Testing should be planned and tracked just as much as doing the actual nuts and bolts work.

u-noob-tu
January 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
before i get started, it is a good idea to see if anyone has something similar to what i have in mind. do any of you know of a distro that focuses on productivity? whether its office stuff, mail, calendar, or tasks and stuff like that? im a productivity nut who likes to be organized and know everything ahead of time (or else id forget). that would be my ideal distro. is there already anything in that category?

Aquix
January 10th, 2011, 05:11 PM
You could have a look over at OSnews. It's generally a good site and they sometimes write about unknown new operating systems, not only linux, that are built from scratch. Can't remember the name of it but I tried this os a guy was building and did some simple bugreports (not a programmer eighter). Think that would be a great way to learn. And the community was great, forum had 8 members.

madjr
January 10th, 2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.webupd8.org

and distrowatch are good places to learn about new distros.

ps, try deleting most of the text from the multiple posts

Sef
January 10th, 2011, 06:36 PM
ps, try deleting most of the text from the multiple posts

Better to report them, and they will be deleted.

earthpigg
January 10th, 2011, 09:18 PM
before i get started, it is a good idea to see if anyone has something similar to what i have in mind. do any of you know of a distro that focuses on productivity? whether its office stuff, mail, calendar, or tasks and stuff like that? im a productivity nut who likes to be organized and know everything ahead of time (or else id forget). that would be my ideal distro. is there already anything in that category?

Any desktop enterprise distribution is generally focused on their version of what the word "productivity" means.

If you aren't satisfied with suse, fedora/rhel, and ubuntu, then it would appear that your version of "productivity" differs.

Which is great, imo. An opportunity exists here. I would encourage you to be completely selfish at first, and make a distribution that exactly meets your exact needs and wants in every way. Then, go ahead and share it if you still feel like it.

Maybe others have a similar concept in their head when they hear "productivity focused"?

Maybe you will come up with some new thing that no one has thought of before, and it will inspire future improvements in Ubuntu or Fedora?

My old project, Masonux (http://sites.google.com/site/masonux/), was of similar origins. I created it just for me because every other LXDE distribution with an Ubuntu base was in early development. Discussions, roadmaps, yadayadayada, and one non-functioning "Lubuntu" .iso was several months off when I started my little pet project. I skipped all the discussions and roadmaps and whatnot and just made it what I wanted. Put an .iso together, tossed a quick and dirty website up, kept all the development documentation public, and called it a day.

It lived a short and wonderful life, and filled a niche for a while. I found the entire experience quite satisfying, and I learned a lot. So, I encourage you to consider taking a similar route.