PDA

View Full Version : In two years?

jc87
April 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I was playing with my Ubuntu box and then it hit me , how will be Gnu/Linux in general in a few years (around 2 )?

I´m not talking about Desktop adoption in specific , but general stuff , going from improved software , to more "fun" experiences , etc...

Well here is my idea:

- More distros with the ability to use the same cd/dvd both as live/install.

- More mature versions of some technologies , like XGL (no screwing around by that time , just use) and others.

- Better drivers/hardware support (still not perfect , but improved).

- More gui´s to help execute certain tasks ( i personnally like the CLI for some taks, but it is always nice to have a GUI).

- Improved compatibility between Desktop managers ( Feedesktop.org) and Distros ( Linux standart Base).

- Improved apps ( OOO around 2.5 or 3.0 , Firefox 3.xxxxx , Gaim , xchat , Gnome , Kde , XFCE , etc..).

- More artistic content ( icons , themes , etc..)

- The possibility to start buying computers with Gnu/Linux preinstalled in more different places ( mostly online but still is pretty good).

- The waited end of IE-only websites.

- etc....

And what is your opinion?

mjm115
April 26th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I definitely think that there will be more distros. I also think that we will see more applications ported over to linux within the next few years. With the LSB and the OSDL working with other vendors, we have no place to go but up.

Our plans for world domination are slowly taking over. Muahahahahaha!!!!!