PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu and kubuntu Meta Packages

rpaskudniak
January 9th, 2011, 10:14 PM
This is a spin-off from my previous thread: Mainly using gnome but I want to give KDE a spin (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1663353). Linuxman94 advised to to install kubuntu-desktop in order to install the KDE. This is in the Meta Packages section. But now that it got me looking into the Meta Packages section I made some other discoveries, stuff that I should probably be interested in installing..

Without going to the Universe or Multiverse versions of MetaPackages, I noted an Ubuntu-Desktop, besides the Kubuntu-desktop currently under contemplation. I also noticed some other packages I'd like to know more about:

Linux-tools - the Linux kernel versioned Tools (what does that mean?) with a dependency on linux-tools-3.6.35-24 (which is not installed)
Linux image stuff - which I ain't messin' with at this time.

So my primary question are:

What is this Ubuntu-desktop waiting to be installed? How is it different from the [Gnome] Desktop I am using by default?
What is the linux-tools package? Like, what tools will I find there?

These may be very basic questions so if y'all can point me to the appropriate docs, it will save everyone much finger exercise.

Thanks much for the info.

oldos2er
January 9th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Ubuntu-desktop is gnome more or less. "Description: The Ubuntu desktop system.
This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu desktop system.
It is also used to help ensure proper upgrades, so it is recommended that
it not be removed."
The "proper upgrades" mentioned refer to version upgrades, i.e. from 10.04 to 10.10, for example.

I can't find much info on linux-tools.

rpaskudniak
January 9th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Ubuntu-desktop is gnome more or less. "Description: The Ubuntu desktop system.
This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu desktop system.
It is also used to help ensure proper upgrades, so it is recommended that it not be removed."
The "proper upgrades" mentioned refer to version upgrades, i.e. from 10.04 to 10.10, for example.

Oldos,

How many in this community would recognize your avatar? :lolflag:

Thanks for the attempt. However, I had no intention of removing it; I couldn't anyway. My question stems from the status of Ubuntu-desktop in Synaptec - it is not flagged as being installed, yet clearly I do have Ubuntu and Gnome installed and running on my desktop. Hence my question of "What is this and how is my current default desktop NOT this?" My main concern is that I not be installing redundant software that might conflict with what I have already.

A -> a PDF of page that explains this would be exceedingly helpful here.

Thanks.