PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE Help Center Searchable?

pgibson
January 9th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Trying to best I can, but there seems no way to search the "Help" center docs. The closest I can get is a window that says:

Document 'kde_application_manuals' (Application Manuals):
'/usr/bin/htdig' not found, install the package containing it

Now, come on. Help to use help? ;) If only the irony were intentional.

I am right in assuming this isn't how it's meant to function, is it? Kubuntu is so shiny, I really want to be friends with it.

No rush, I'll check in later.

Thanks in advance.

:)

perspectoff
January 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Trying to best I can, but there seems no way to search the "Help" center docs. The closest I can get is a window that says:

Now, come on. Help to use help? ;) If only the irony were intentional.

I am right in assuming this isn't how it's meant to function, is it? Kubuntu is so shiny, I really want to be friends with it.

No rush, I'll check in later.

Thanks in advance.

Until they get back to you, check out Kubuntuguide.org.

pgibson
January 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks perspectoff. Mom always did say I lacked direction, but now you've given me one. Yay! :) I'll pop over and take a peek.

In the meantime, anyone else have an answer, don't hesitate to raise your h---, oh heck, just shout it out.

Peace.

pgibson
January 11th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I have deduced that it is NOT actually searchable. :D

The "Search" (so called) of the Help Center is meant as a CLUE from developers acting under coercion (or hypnotism) from secret and nefarious forces nestled deep within the KDE/Kubuntu Kabal. It means "SEARCH for us, we need HELP, front and CENTER."

See?

Because it's hard to imagine how, with all those help documents and all those hyper-links, none of it can be searched using a specific term.

Still, the "Build an Index" button is a stumper. I wonder what that ACTUALLY means?

Hmmmm. Ponder Ponder Ponder. ;)

gmargo
January 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I tried the kde help and got the same message. Paying attention to the error message, I installed the htdig package. Now I can create a search index but the search results seem very poor. (Searching for "file" doesn't find the file(1) man page?)

pgibson
January 17th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I finally gave up and just went to regular Ubuntu ... less hassle. Kubuntu and I just aren't ready to be friends yet. So sad.

inobe
January 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I finally gave up and just went to regular Ubuntu ... less hassle. Kubuntu and I just aren't ready to be friends yet. So sad.

you can start here http://www.kubuntu.org/

much more here, choose your language when there http://userbase.kde.org/Getting_Help/en

pgibson
January 23rd, 2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks Inobe! It was less that I was looking for help about Kubuntu than that I was looking for help about using the provided, but stubbornly unsearchable, search function that was provided with Kubuntu's "Help Center."

I've given up, though. I installed straight Gnome-butnu on that machine. I'll not mark this post solved, however, because the problem never was solved.

Peace