PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I want to go from Jolicloud to Ubuntu

Robotman9000
January 9th, 2011, 07:46 PM
is there an easy way to do this? If possible I'd like to just install ubuntu and not have to back anything up.

Jolicloud is just a little too light. I find ubuntu to be more of a real computer experience.

Thanks

perspectoff
January 9th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Not certain I see any advantage to Jolicloud compared to Ubuntu Mobile editions.

The critical question is where you are going to store your data?

Are you going to entrust all your files to some faceless datacenter, over whose control you can never be certain?

Could your cloud storage center be run by some mafioso in an overseas country, just waiting for you to put some sensitive financial data there by accident?

The other alternative is to set up a server in your own house, using Ubuntu, and keep your own data there. Then you can access it from anywhere over the Internet, be it from a mobile device or a browser on any computer.

I like WebDAV for serving files, for example, for this.

The problem is not the client (and Jolicloud is just a fancy client that is a frontend for their datacenter), but is the server. Who gets control of your files? Google? Ubuntu? Jolicloud? Don Corleone's Whatsaserver? Uncle Wu's Laundry and Datacenter?

cipherboy_loc
January 9th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I think you misunderstood. He wants to go FROM Jolicloud TO Ubuntu, not From Ubuntu TO Jolicloud.

Anyways, I don't know what Jolicloud is, so I will leave it to more experienced users. Can you download all your data from Jolicloud? If so, put it on a flash drive, migrate, and then copy that to your /home folder.

Cipherboy