PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install menu fails to appear

kaylatron
January 9th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I'm trying to install ubuntu from a disc that I downloaded and burned. I'm currently using windows vista, which recently got a virus and had to be reinstalled, so I decided to try ubuntu instead. My problem is that when I reboot my computer with the disc in the drive, it appears to be starting to boot, but instead of a menu, a purple screen with a picture at the bottom appears. I'm not very good with computers, but a couple of years ago I tried booting an older version of ubuntu to test it, and that worked just fine. I'm not sure what the problem is and would appreciate some help.
Thank you.

Edit: I'm trying to install ubuntu 10.10, and I'm currently downloading ubuntu again to burn onto another CD, in case the CD is the problem.

kaylatron
January 9th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'm now having a slightly different problem: It gets past the loading screen, only to tell me that there's an error and it is unable to mount, or something along those lines.

Edit: "Can not mount /dev/loop0 (cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystems.squashfs"

dino99
January 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
always burn with the slowest speed

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

kaylatron
January 9th, 2011, 06:28 PM
So you think it's likely to be a problem with the CD because I didn't burn it slowly enough?

kansasnoob
January 9th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Maybe this will help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD

dino99
January 9th, 2011, 06:34 PM
So you think it's likely to be a problem with the CD because I didn't burn it slowly enough?

as i understand, its not a cd issue as you get "the purple screen with white dots" right ?

so try to boot without acpi:
edit the boot line from grub menu (hold "shift" key down at end of bios process if you dont see the grub menu by default)

and choose the line ending with "quiet splash", remove these 2 params (quiet splash), and add: noacpi. If that fail again, instead of noacpi, try with nomodeset, then ctrl+x for booting

kaylatron
January 9th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I've tried both of those with no luck, and the same error message as above:

"Can not mount /dev/loop0 (cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystems.squashfs"

dino99
January 9th, 2011, 06:53 PM
using squashfs is at your own risk

why not following the standard way ? (see post #3)

kaylatron
January 9th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I'll have a go with parted magic, and get back to you on how it goes. Thanks for the help.

kaylatron
January 9th, 2011, 07:36 PM
A couple of questions about partitioning. There are 3 partitions already there: System, Restore and Vista. I'm not sure quite what to do about those.
I'm also not entirely sure how to do anything other than make a partition in a particular format. Is there something extra I need to do to make it "bootable"?