PDA

View Full Version : How often is your desktop makeover?

neu5eeCh
January 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM
The beauty & curse of any Linux distro is the phenomenal ability to customize.

Two months ago I thought my desktop, theme, icons, emblems, etc... were God's gift to graphic design. Today, I wonder what the h*ll I ever saw in it. It's an addiction...

matthew.ball
January 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I haven't changed my desktop theme (though I have changed the wallpaper) since Intrepid. I have been actively looking for a suitable replacement, but yet to find one.

CraigPaleo
January 9th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Mine is ever-changing. Like you, I was looking through some old screenshots in my Photobucket and thought, "That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen! What was I thinking?" :o

Yes, it's an addiction. I once made a screenshot thread in a non-computer related forum. Some people stated they hadn't even changed their wallpaper in years!

Zero2Nine
January 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I recognize that although my theme is still the same after a month I've changed the wallpaper multiple times. Also tried different themes but still like Ambiance best.

andymorton
January 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM
My wallpaper changes every two or three days and the gnome theme a couple of times a week, although I only ever seem to use either Orta or Dark Star. I've been using the same icon theme, i.e. Faenza for a few months.
I'm thinking of doing a complete revamp. It's just a question of managing to decide what to actually use from the seemingly endless options. :)

andy

Spice Weasel
January 9th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I don't change the theme/wallpaper because I don't see the need to, but I will add new features to my FVWM configuration whenever inspiration strikes.

mamamia88
January 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
always striving for perfection. right now i think i pretty much have the perfect desktop for me. right now I just need to find a way to solve the problem of minimized windows without an ugly windows list on the bottom.

zer010
January 9th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Lately, I've been fiddling with it more and more and yes, it is addicting. ;)

dh04000
January 9th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Every 1-3 months.

neu5eeCh
January 9th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I've been using the same icon theme, i.e. Faenza for a few months.

Me too, right up until yesterday. Yesterday, Faenza was looking really, really tired. Sigh...

juancarlospaco
January 9th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I buy a nice Desk Lamp...

rkirk
January 9th, 2011, 10:28 PM
...I'd say I revamp everything every couple of months, usually with an eye toward efficiency.

As of late, I'm using GNOME with the following adjustments:

Hidden bottom panel (I just use ALT+TAB).
Easier-to-read fonts in dialogs and menubars.
A Tinkerbell desktop wallpaper (say what you like, Peter Pan's one of my fav movies).

But, really, I spend so much time either in the command line or Google Chromium that a lot of desktop tweaking isn't in order (but I do it anyway; after all, that's part of the fun of Linux).

koleoptero
January 9th, 2011, 11:23 PM
The amount of posts I've made in the screenshots thread over the past year and a half, and the variation between each of the screenshots, say enough for how often I change things. Daily probably.

ctrlmd
January 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM
usually two weeks to change the wallpaper
and 1 month to change everything

Hur Dur
January 9th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I have never changed my desktop. It looks the same as it did on day one.

mystmaiden
January 10th, 2011, 12:05 AM
No icons on the desktop at all except in the toolbar at the top I have shutdown and internet connection (trash at the bottom one) . I use drapes so the background changes every few minutes, then I customized some themes, for instance, red and black and I have a file folder of red and black artwork to use as backgrounds for that theme - one folder of backgrounds for each theme I customize.

so yeah - it changes a Lot. I may have gone past addiction right straight into obsession...

ilovelinux33467
January 10th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I never bother changing the theme. Just the wallpaper

standingwave
January 10th, 2011, 12:27 AM
For a while, I was tweaking it all the time but I've pretty much left it alone for about a year. I'm using Gnome and just one panel on the bottom. I made it transparent and customized the time/date. I will add remove program launchers on occassion, but otherwise leave it alone. I disabled the windows list and just use alt-tab. I have one screenlet which is the five-day weather.

neu5eeCh
January 10th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I have never changed my desktop. It looks the same as it did on day one.

Wow. That goes beyond monogamy. That's abstinence.