PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Increase Transfer Speed Between PC and Ext HDD

DavidG24
January 9th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if there was a way to increase the transfer speed of data from a PC to a Ext HDD. I understand that it comes down to the components of the PC/Ext HDD, however I was curious as to whether they may be some general rules to follow? (i.e. copying and pasting via the terminal as opposed to running through a GUI interface as an example?)

Cheers,

David

CharlesA
January 9th, 2011, 12:09 PM
There would be no difference in transfer speed if you are copying via the terminal or the GUI.

It comes down to what interface you are using. USB 2.0 will be slower then eSATA, for example.

cascade9
January 9th, 2011, 12:20 PM
There might be some minor differences between copying methods, if anybody actually knows about this and has any data I'd be interested to see it. I'd doubt that there would be any real difference though.

If you really want to increase the transfer speeds to an external drive, use a faster interface. Even the old firewire interface is faster than USB2.0, eSATA is much, much faster.

DavidG24
January 9th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Cheers for your responses, this is the current Ext HDD I'm using (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/expansion/expansion_desktop#tTabContentOverview) which given the reviews, I probably should have passed on. What Ext HDD's would you recommend?

ajgreeny
January 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
What transfer speeds are you actually getting?

DavidG24
January 9th, 2011, 01:29 PM
What transfer speeds are you actually getting?

between 30-50Mb/s

CharlesA
January 9th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Cheers for your responses, this is the current Ext HDD I'm using (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/expansion/expansion_desktop#tTabContentOverview) which given the reviews, I probably should have passed on. What Ext HDD's would you recommend?

I've got one of those set up as my backup drive and haven't had any problems with it. Granted the one I have is probably an older model, but it works just fine. With that being said, they are kinda slow when transferring data to/from, but that's due to them being USB, and not eSATA or Firewire.

between 30-50Mb/s

Mb/s or MB/s? USB 2.0 tops out at 480Mbps, which is about 50MB/sec.

DavidG24
January 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I've got one of those set up as my backup drive and haven't had any problems with it. Granted the one I have is probably an older model, but it works just fine. With that being said, they are kinda slow when transferring data to/from, but that's due to them being USB, and not eSATA or Firewire.

Mb/s or MB/s? USB 2.0 tops out at 480Mbps, which is about 50MB/sec.

MB/s which given what you were saying is not too bad :-)

cascade9
January 10th, 2011, 07:05 AM
30-40MB/sec is pretty much what USB 2.0 does normally, so that is standard USB 2.0 speeds.

Which reviews are you thinking of?

If you look around, you'll get lots of people telling you 'buy brand x', 'no, brand x sucks, I had one blow up last year, get brand y'. If you feel that way, go ahaead, buy brand 'x', or 'y', or 'z'. IMO, there isnt a huge amount of difference in reliability or speed between HDD brands.

The main thing to look for is eSATA (if you have an eSATA port, or have SATA ports that can be set as eSATA and want maximum speed) or a 'combo' drive if you want maximum flexability (USB 2.0 and eSATA, and possibly firewire/firewire800).

BTW, some benchmarks on the difference between eSATA, USB 2.0, firewire and fireire800 here-

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-firewire-esata,2534.html

DavidG24
January 10th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Cheers for the info mate, I have noticed that no matter where you go for product evaluation of pretty much any computer product there is someone bitching and someone championing it.
I'll definitely take the eSata interface into mind when considering my next purchase.

Thanks to all for your help,

David