PDA

View Full Version : I want to use piwik web analytics in my website but worried about ...

adit
January 9th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I want to get information about visitors like what is the referring page, what is their geolocation, what browser they are using etc. There are several web analytics software available for that. I prefer piwik web analytics. Before using piwik in my website, I want to get your (as a visitor) opinion. Suppose you are a visitor of my website. How will you feel if you know you are being tracked?

1) Tracking is not a bad thing. The website author really needs data about me. This will help him run his website better.

2) I don't like being tracked. I will block that particular script (piwik.js) in my browser or I will stop visiting the website.

Edit:
What I will do?
If I am the visitor, and somebody is using tracking code in website, I will definitely block that script in my browser.

Viva
January 9th, 2011, 08:18 AM
It is not a lot different to google analytics, is it? You could alternatively use a script that uses PHP to track instead of javascript so that users can not block it.

projectbronco
February 28th, 2011, 01:40 AM
The vast majority of comercial sites are tracking how many users go to their site, length of time spent, etc. If people were worried about their click being counted on a website, then they may as well stop going online. Also, the majority of this is ananomous, merely a click counting software wherein as soon as you leave it forgets your IP address. Some are more smart (i.e. amazon, ebay, etc.) and will remember your IP and where you have been, preferences, etc.
I say install the tracking software. I know that if you are in marketing or something of that nature, you need analytics to know whether the site you are doing is worth your time, needs to be changed, or needs to be shut down.

Good luck!

Tibuda
February 28th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Blocking the script will not avoid being tracked. Just the HTTP request already sends the server everything about you. Not everything, but your IP (and possibly geolocation), your user agent (browser and operating system), your browser language, etc.

NMFTM
February 28th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I'm not overly concerned about being tracked. But I do use extensions to block external referrer links and all unnecessary JavaScripts. Just because I can.