PDA

View Full Version : shred and ext4 filing system

t0p
January 9th, 2011, 04:23 AM
I am aware that the shred command (and, similarly, srm) can be of limited use when used with a journalling file system. To quote the shred manpage:

CAUTION: Note that shred relies on a very important assumption: that the file system overwrites data in place. This is the traditional way to do things, but many modern file system designs do not satisfy this assumption. The following are examples of file systems on which shred is not effective, or is not guaranteed to be effective in all file system modes:

* log-structured or journaled file systems, such as those supplied with AIX and Solaris (and JFS, ReiserFS, XFS, Ext3, etc.)

* file systems that write redundant data and carry on even if some writes fail, such as RAID-based file systems

* file systems that make snapshots, such as Network Appliance's NFS server

* file systems that cache in temporary locations, such as NFS version 3 clients

* compressed file systems

In the case of ext3 file systems, the above disclaimer applies (and shred is thus of limited effectiveness) only in data=journal mode, which journals file data in addition to just metadata. In both the data=ordered (default) and data=writeback modes, shred works as usual. Ext3 journaling modes can be changed by adding the data=something option to the mount options for a particular file system in the /etc/fstab file, as documented in the mount man page (man mount).[/I]

[emphasis is mine, to emphasise that shred is not useless when used with ext3. For most users, who don't change from the default data=ordered mode, shred works just fine.]

Anyway, to the question I wish to pose: will shred work with ext4 in the same way as with ext3? If not, is there a secure delete command that will work with ext4?

Cheers.

FuturePilot
January 9th, 2011, 04:42 AM
will shred work with ext4 in the same way as with ext3?
Yes.

wojox
January 9th, 2011, 05:01 AM
I think encryption is the way to go.

t0p
January 10th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Yes.

Thanks.

I think encryption is the way to go.

Encryption certainly has its role to play in the secure handling of data; but a secure deletion tool can be just as important.

In England, the Regulation of Investigatory Powers act gives a judge the power to send you to prison for up to 2 years if you refuse to disclose a decryption key. If you're not a criminal, there are other examples of where coercion might be used to force you to hand over the passphrase. But if you have securely deleted the sensitive data, it's gone for good (if the file was too long for you to have memorized, of course).

Anyway, my query is answered. Thanks to all.

Paqman
January 10th, 2011, 07:34 PM
is there a secure delete command that will work with ext4?

TRIM, if you're on an SSD. That'll wipe anything, regardless of filesystem.

psusi
January 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM
That warning is a little pedantic. Even in data=journal mode, the original file data is only in the journal for a short period after it was written. Before long the journal cycles around and overwrites the data, so the only time you might have a copy of the file data left in the journal after you shred it is if you JUST created the file, then immediately shred it, and then it might hang around in the journal for a few minutes or hours, but that's all.

For that matter, just the act of shreding the file is going to cause the journal copy to be overwritten, unless the file is very small.

YourSurrogateGod
August 1st, 2012, 08:31 PM
I am aware that the shred command (and, similarly, srm) can be of limited use when used with a journalling file system. To quote the shred manpage:

[emphasis is mine, to emphasise that shred is not useless when used with ext3. For most users, who don't change from the default data=ordered mode, shred works just fine.]

Anyway, to the question I wish to pose: will shred work with ext4 in the same way as with ext3? If not, is there a secure delete command that will work with ext4?

Cheers.

Hi, just curious, but which way did you do when it comes to securely deleting files with shred? Did you modify the configuration of the file-system? If so, how?

Bachstelze
August 1st, 2012, 10:11 PM
Hi, just curious, but which way did you do when it comes to securely deleting files with shred? Did you modify the configuration of the file-system? If so, how?

As the quoted man page says, shred will work as expected on ext3/4 with the default settings. This means that if you did not add a special mount option to your fstab, you will be fine.

t0p
August 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM
As this has reared its head again, I just thought I'd chip in and say I have been using the "secure-delete" utility srm. It's easy to install, now it's available with apt-get, ie

sudo apt-get install secure-delete

and it's also easier on the fingers. If you want to securely delete a file using shred, you have to use the -u flag, ie

shred -u sensitive.txt

because shred's default action is to just overwrite the file. Not that that's a biggie for most of us,but there are always those who really truly want to wipe that data from the face of the earth. That's what srm does - key in

srm sensitive.txt

and the result is the same as the above shred-u command. Less letters. No flags. What's not to like? ;)

Primefalcon
August 8th, 2012, 08:23 PM
@t0p

why not just alias it, like so

alias shred='shred -u'

or if yo really want to be secure

alias shred='shred -uz --iterations=10'

Paqman
August 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
No flags. What's not to like? ;)

You might want to use some flags anyway. By default both tools do too many writes (srm much moreso than shred). That's not a big deal on small files, but on larger ones it'll be slow and if you're on an SSD it'll be burning up your limited number of write cycles unnecessarily.

Primefalcon
August 8th, 2012, 08:47 PM
You might want to use some flags anyway. By default both tools do too many writes (srm much moreso than shred). That's not a big deal on small files, but on larger ones it'll be slow and if you're on an SSD it'll be burning up your limited number of write cycles unnecessarily.
again don't see much point to srm since you can just alias what flags you want

Paqman
August 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM
again don't see much point to srm since you can just alias what flags you want

Sure, but sometimes you might want different flags.

Bachstelze
August 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM

If you are paranoid enough to use shred in the first place, having to replace your disk more frequently is probably the least of your worries.

Paqman
August 10th, 2012, 04:59 PM
If you are paranoid enough to use shred in the first place, having to replace your disk more frequently is probably the least of your worries.

True. A lot of those folk will quite happily drill dirty great holes through perfectly good disks to get rid of the data on them.

mips
August 10th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Why go through all this hassle when you can do a secure erase (ata command set) from hdparm?

Primefalcon
August 10th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Sure, but sometimes you might want different flags.
sure then why not alias it with the flags to something like:

alias goaway='shred -uz --iterations=10'

and that way if you want to use other flags... nothing is stopping you from entering say shred with other flags

t0p
August 11th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I've got an .iso of DBAN on an external drive.. I once had this crazed paranoid plan to somehow set things up so entering a particular key-combination in my usual Ubuntu sessions would automagically reboot to DBAN and overwrite my entire drive. For use when they were trying force entry through my reinforced iron door.

Fortunately(?) I abandoned that plan (probably because I didn't know how to do it). If someone were to tell me how to do it, I might still be interested. Dunno, depends how much they have been following me, I guess.

Primefalcon
August 11th, 2012, 01:18 AM
WARNING: NEVER DO THE FOLLOWING ON A COMPUTER WHICH HAS DATA YOU CARE ABOUT.... YOU'LL NEVER GET IT BACK FROM ANY MEANS

I've heard good things about dban... you could also do something like this....

#!/bin/bash
x=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M
while [ $x -le 5 ]
do
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=1M
x=$(( $x + 1 ))
done
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M

and then let it run overnight, and if you wanted, you could add the script to sudoers and give it a hot key activation...

for the record no one has ever managed to recover data from even a single overwrite.... but running extra times just makes it more certain! the first 0 pass is for speed btw, but it'll still take a long time

Paqman
August 11th, 2012, 07:40 AM
sure then why not alias it with the flags to something like:

alias goaway='shred -uz --iterations=10'

and that way if you want to use other flags... nothing is stopping you from entering say shred with other flags

Sure, I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

Incidentally, shred's default is a much more sane 3 passes these days. Which is still three times more than you actually need.

Primefalcon
August 11th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Sure, I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

Incidentally, shred's default is a much more sane 3 passes these days. Which is still three times more than you actually need.
I agree entirely.... In there has bee a big challenge online for quite a while now... for a lot of money.... to recover data after a single rewrite.... and no one has been able to do.... regardless of what methods they use...

mips
August 11th, 2012, 12:07 PM
The fastest method would be this,

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase
http://tinyapps.org/docs/wipe_drives_hdparm.html

It's all I use to erase drives and it's way faster than any utility/tool out there.

daKoolaid
September 9th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Cool, I saw that warning in shred's manpage and was wondering about it too since I'm using ext4.

I found a shred script to add as a right click option. I have yet to figure out how to make it work for folders and files with spaces in the names.

#!/bin/bash

shred -v -n 5 -z $@ -u

exit