PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] nvidia graphics config

davidmaxwaterman
January 9th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Hi,

I have just switched form Ubuntu to Kubuntu and am having a little trouble finding my way around.

One thing I want to use is the tool to configure the nvidia graphics card so that I can get accelerated graphics and can drive additional monitors (eg a projector to make presentations).

Can anyone guide me on how to get this working?

Thanks,

Max.

Krytarik
January 9th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Since I always run Gnome, I don't know the structure of the menus. You will already know where the tool is in Gnome: System -> Administration -> NVIDIA X Server Settings.
If it isn't in the KDE-equivalent, check if it is installed:

dpkg -l |grep nvidia-settings
If it isn't install it:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
Then check again the menus. If it still isn't there, just run it from a terminal:

nvidia-settings

Greetings.

davidmaxwaterman
January 9th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Since I always run Gnome, I don't know the structure of the menus. You will already know where the tool is in Gnome: System -> Administration -> NVIDIA X Server Settings.
If it isn't in the KDE-equivalent, check if it is installed:

dpkg -l |grep nvidia-settings

Yup, I have that :

$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii nvidia-173-modaliases 173.14.28-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
ii nvidia-96-modaliases 96.43.18-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
ii nvidia-common 0.2.24 Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii nvidia-current-modaliases 260.19.06-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
ii nvidia-settings 260.19.06-0ubuntu1 Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

nvidia-settings

and that runs, but it tells me to run nvidia-xconfig, but I don't have that installed...can't seem to find it anywhere either. I know I had this under Ubuntu (10.4) since this is what I was using before...

Any ideas?

Max.

PS. I see this post <http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1252175&page=2> asking basically the same thing...seems there is no xconfig package available?

Krytarik
January 9th, 2011, 06:52 PM
You don't have the actual driver installed. :-D

Is there an equivalent to "System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers/Additional Drivers" in KDE?

This would be the best way to install, unless you know exactly which is the appropriate driver version for your card.

davidmaxwaterman
January 10th, 2011, 04:37 AM
You don't have the actual driver installed. :-D

Is there an equivalent to "System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers/Additional Drivers" in KDE?

I haven't seen one.

This would be the best way to install, unless you know exactly which is the appropriate driver version for your card.

I do notice a utility called 'nvidia-detector' but that simply returns 'none'. Perhaps this is why I didn't have any nvidia driver installed? - though I do :

$ lspci | grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84M [Quadro NVS 140M] (rev a1)

davidmaxwaterman
January 10th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I haven't seen one.

Ah, I find 'Additional Drivers' on the Applications/System menu. It lists some drivers that need to be 'activated', involving some downloads that take a little while.

Let me see how that goes - I'm hopeful.

EDIT: Yup, things are making much more sense now.

Thanks for your help!

Max.