PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install sound drivers from Local CD

monsard
January 9th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I finally got Ubuntu installed and the main problem I have with it is no sound.
I know Linux has this Alsa stuff but when I see a list of 50 or so different packages I don't have a clue what I need. Linux need to become more descriptive, and easier to manipulate, and then it will kill Windows.
I am rambling here so,

Is there an app that will install drivers from anywhere?? I have Linux sound drivers on the motherboard Cd. when I double clicked them they opened up in some archive application, I have them copied into my home/download folder, but nothing recognizes them. How can I get drivers installed to my motherboard sound chip. In Windows I had no internet or sound until I ran the CD. At least Ubuntu had something for my Ethernet chip, but not for my sound.
But it looks like I cannot simply run the CD and install them.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

hansolo4949
January 9th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Try going to system>administration>hardware drivers (i'm pretty sure, i'm using xfce right now, not gnome which is the default ubuntu desktop). Maybe your driver will be there?

Frogs Hair
January 9th, 2011, 02:19 AM
If using 10.10 Administration additional drivers. If the driver on the disk is a Windows .exe file you won't be able to install it on directly on Ubuntu from disk.

monsard
January 10th, 2011, 10:45 AM
The files on the cd that I need are linux drivers. Also I do not have a "software sources" selection in System>Administration. I found out that if I have that selection I can add the cd as a source in the package manager. This is ubuntu 10.10 with gnome. I further found out that the software sources form that I did find inside the package manager did not recognize the motherboard cd that was in the player, altho it has the Linux drivers on it.

monsard
January 10th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I am sorry (for myself). I do not have that System>Administration>Hardware Drivers available to me in gnome.