PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu won't boot from freshly burned cd

jimmys_
January 9th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I just downloaded the Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit and burned it to a cd. The problem is that Ubuntu never boots. It stays in that Ubuntu loading screen forever. When I press a button a get these errors:

(process:319): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

and then

the following error again and again

/scripts/casper-bottom/10adduser: line 26: db_set: not found

What's going on?

jimmys_
January 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Does it have something to do with the 64-bit edition? From the errors I understand that is something with the users, but which users since I try to boot for the first time in order to install Ubuntu?

Rubi1200
January 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Did you check the MD5SUM before burning?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Did you burn at the lowest speed?

What graphics card do you have?

jroa
January 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
+1 to what Rubi1200 said. I have not had any problems as long as I check the checksum to make sure that the iso is ok and use the slowest burning speed possible.

jimmys_
January 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Did you check the MD5SUM before burning?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Did you burn at the lowest speed?

What graphics card do you have?

Thanks for your reply

I'll check it now and let you know.

I actually formatted my hard disk and wanted to dual boot win7 with ubuntu and since I had just installed win7 I burned it with the burner that comes with win7. There's no selection of burn speed.

I have an onboard Intel GMA3000

jimmys_
January 9th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Okay, I checked the MD5 hash and they are the same. I'll try to burn the image again and see if that makes any difference.

jimmys_
January 9th, 2011, 12:39 PM
After burning the image again, the first error message for process:319 is still shown but at least the others don't appear and it boots normally. I hope there isn't a problem.

Rubi1200
January 9th, 2011, 12:42 PM
After burning the image again, the first error message for process:319 is still shown but at least the others don't appear and it boots normally. I hope there isn't a problem.

In other words, you are at the graphical desktop?

What do you want to do exactly?

Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and copy/paste the following command:

sudo parted -l

Copy/paste the results back here and please use the # tag on the menu to generate code tags. Paste the results between the tags and submit.

The command will give us a quick overview of your current drive setup and will make offering advice on partitioning/installing easier.

Thanks.

jimmys_
January 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I think I finally installed it. The problem now is that during installation, the ethernet was working and downloading updates which took an hour or so, and now after rebooting the ethernet is not working and the graphics drivers are not recognized. This is so annoying. What's wrong now?

Here's the code Rubi1200 asked for

Model: ATA SAMSUNG HD321KJ (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 320GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 106MB 105MB primary ntfs boot
2 106MB 269GB 268GB primary ntfs
3 269GB 320GB 51.5GB extended
5 269GB 271GB 2047MB logical linux-swap(v1)
6 271GB 320GB 49.5GB logical ext4

Rubi1200
January 9th, 2011, 09:51 PM
As far as I know, the graphics card should not be a problem. What troubles are you experiencing with it?

For connection information, post the output of the following commands please.

Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal:

ifconfig

sudo lshw -C network