PDA

View Full Version : Android 2.3 Gingerbread running on iPhone 4

HappinessNow
January 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
When this becomes seamlessly available to run smoothly, I would finally be interested in acquiring an iPhone 4 to run Android 2.3 Gingerbread on it.

This brings me to a curious hypothetical question:

If you were given an iPhone 4, would you run Android 2.3 Gingerbread on it, if it ran seamlessly?

donniezazen
January 8th, 2011, 10:44 PM
When this becomes seamlessly available to run smoothly, I would finally be interested in acquiring an iPhone 4 to run Android 2.3 Gingerbread on it.

This brings me to a curious hypothetical question:

If you were given an iPhone 4, would you run Android 2.3 Gingerbread on it, if it ran seamlessly?

May be after 2012.

RiceMonster
January 8th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I have an iPhone 4. I might consider trying Android on it (given that it ran flawlessly), though IMO, part of the reason to get an iPhone is for iOS. If I want to use Android, I'll probably get a phone that comes with it.

hyperdude111
January 8th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Probably would do, firstly for the novelty of just doing it and also because I prefer android.

After a while on my ipod touch (even after rooting) i ran out of new things to do with it. Much prefer android, being able to install apps from the web, flash player, relaxed market etc.

Also loving custom roms and huge levels of customisation (beyond wallpapers).

Dr. C
January 9th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Installing Android 2.3 on a iPhone is a simple and effective way to tether an iPad to the 3G data connection of an iPhone, as Android 2.2 or later has the ability to create a wireless hotspot using the 3G data connection.

earthpigg
January 9th, 2011, 12:29 AM
is there reason to believe this is possible?

also: Android assumes four physical buttons near the display. Does the iPhone's one button become home, back, menu, or search?

Giant Speck
January 9th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Since the iPhone 4's disk space is large enough, I'd dual boot iOS and Android. I'd use iOS as my primary OS for phone, SMS, and other apps, but use Android when I want to tinker and play with something.

MisterGaribaldi
January 9th, 2011, 04:39 AM
To the point as intended by the OP: Sure, why not. It would be interesting.

To the point as a function of reality: It'll be a cold, cold day in h*** before it'll ever run properly. I would far rather have Android running on a device intended to run it. Oh, wait: I already do.

doorknob60
January 9th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I would. I have an iPod Touch and i'm awating the day when I can run Android on it. If I wanted to run Android though, I wouldn't buy an iPhone.

beastrace91
January 9th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I'd continue to use my N900 because Nokia gives money back to Linux! Having an i-Anything says you support daddy Jobs. I refuse to support someone who wants to filter the software content I can have on my hardware.

~Jeff

Spr0k3t
January 9th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I wont use apple products even if they were free. I know there are better options already available with more features.

StaticIp
January 9th, 2011, 07:34 AM
is there reason to believe this is possible?

also: Android assumes four physical buttons near the display. Does the iPhone's one button become home, back, menu, or search?

http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/Main_Page

I cant wait...

HappinessNow
January 9th, 2011, 08:34 AM
http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/Main_Page

I cant wait...It's only a matter of time :P

Giant Speck
January 9th, 2011, 10:25 AM
You know what'd be equally interesting, though? Getting iOS to work on a device designed for Android.

HappinessNow
January 10th, 2011, 12:07 PM
You know what'd be equally interesting, though? Getting iOS to work on a device designed for Android.

not nearly as fun because then you would be stuck with iOS

ukripper
January 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I would sell it off and buy Nexus S instead.:popcorn:

alaukikyo
January 10th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I would sell it off and buy Nexus S instead.:popcorn:

+1
why use crap and try to put glitter on it?

Giant Speck
January 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM
not nearly as fun because then you would be stuck with iOS
Oh, you funny!

HappinessNow
January 13th, 2011, 12:11 PM
fortunately this will be becoming a reality sooner then I thought, especially since MicroMod will be quite possibly working on this:

http://goo.gl/t6d3w