PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to back up /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

isee
January 8th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Hi all!
Im trying to run

sudo pppoeconf
using this documentation https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ADSLPPPoE

It advises I make a backup of /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider. I can access it using Nautilus, but I can't put a copy of it in any of my own folders, I get:

Error while copying.

The file "dsl-provider" cannot be handled becuse you do not have permissions to read it.

Is it good enough to put a copy of it on the Desktop in Nautilus as a backup?

Could I copy it to my own files or an external media somehow?

Cheers!

mikewhatever
January 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Try opening the file with Gedit, then use 'File->Save as' (ctrl+shift+s) to save a copy to your home folder. If that doesn't work, use a Terminal window:

sudo cp /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider ~/Desktop

isee
January 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks Mikewhatever!

Try opening the file with Gedit, then use 'File->Save as' (ctrl+shift+s) to save a copy to your home folder.

I can only access the /peers folder contents using Nautilus, so I had to open the dsl-provider file with Gedit while in Nautilus, and then I copied the contents, closed Gedit and opened it again from my panel launcher and pasted the contents into this new file, so I did get a copy of the contents onto my own desktop that way, the file name here being irrelevant for now.

If that doesn't work, use a Terminal window:
Code:
sudo cp /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider ~/Desktop

This moved a locked root copy to my Desktop, which is fine I guess, as long as I can put it back properly if I have to.

Thanks Again!

mikewhatever
January 8th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Welcome, and to put the file back into /etc/ppp/peers/, use the following command:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/dsl-provider /etc/ppp/peers/