View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing Ubuntu from USB on new HDD?

January 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I need to get a new hard drive for my Toshiba Satellite laptop because it's totally knackered. The instructions that came with it are next to none existent, no mention of installing software at all. Is it possible to install Ubuntu via USB on a system that has no other software installed? It's( was when working :-D) a 32 bit system. I had in mind buying one of the USB's from the Canonical store. So is it possible and is it the best way to do it?
Thank you for reading this post.

January 8th, 2011, 08:12 PM
If your Satellite boots from USB then yes. My A105 boots just fine from a USB flash drive.

You would boot the USB, and just choose full disk install if you do not want/need a separate /home. I prefer a separate /home, but then have to use manual partitioning or partition with gparted in advance.

For the Total space you want for Ubuntu:
Ubuntu's standard install is just / (root) & swap, but it is better to add another partition for /home:
1. 10-20 GB Mountpoint / primary or logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
2. all but 2 GB Mountpoint /home logical beginning ext3(or ext4)
3. 2 GB Mountpoint swap logical

Depending on how much memory you have you may not absolutely need swap but having some is still recommended. I do not hibernate (boots fast enough for me) but if hibernating then you need swap equal to RAM. And if dual booting with windows a shared NTFS partition is also recommended. But you usually cannot create that as part of the install, just leave some space.
One advantage of partitioning in advance is that the installer will use the swap space to speed up the install. Thanks Herman for the tip.

You can just download the ISO and install to a USB flash drive:

Also instructions for CD or USB

GParted partitioning software - Full tutorial
Partitioning basics with some info on /data, older but still good
Screenshots of using gparted

Some examples of installs and issues:
Dual drive internal or external
Maverick partition by hand to use free space:

January 9th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Thank you for that info. I've had a quick read of a couple of the links you posted but I can see it demands more time than I have at this present time. Just got to get my replacement hard drive now and I'll be mostly set to go, thanks again.:KS