PDA

View Full Version : What's your default mobile browser?

m4tic
January 8th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Mobiles are fast becoming the largest platforms for internet browsing and I just read that they account for 40% of all tweets. I have on Opera Mini 5, browsers that do the rendering themselves are useless in my opinion and consume much data than necessary.

treesurf
January 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM
The answer will depend on which platform you are talking about. Android? WinMo? WP7? iPhone? others?

Tibuda
January 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I use Opera Mini too on Android

m4tic
January 8th, 2011, 03:14 PM
The answer will depend on which platform you are talking about. Android? WinMo? WP7? iPhone? others?

What you use, just mention which browser you use most and the reason. All platforms have third party browsers so there are plenty reasons you can state as to why one you use most.

chucky chuckaluck
January 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I've been using opera mini 5 on my droid since early on. I can't stand having to side scroll to read something (can't imagine why anyone would tolerate it).

nothingspecial
January 8th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I chucked my stupid Samsung, android, touch-screen, app-downloading, internet, social, rubbish thing in the bin..

I bought a phone for £8.00

You can call, text and play sudoku. That`s it.

If I lose my phone, I have another £8

I have a netbook and an mp3/4 player.

I don`t need all that stuff on my phone.

m4tic
January 8th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I chucked my stupid Samsung, android, touch-screen, app-downloading, internet, social, rubbish thing in the bin..

I bought a phone for £8.00

You can call, text and play sudoku. That`s it.

If I lose my phone, I have another £8

I have a netbook and an mp3/4 player.

I don`t need all that stuff on my phone.

Let's not get off-topic

nothingspecial
January 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Let's not get off-topic

Ok, none.

I don`t use one.

:p

ninjaaron
January 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I have the (now antiquated) Archos 5 internet tablet. I used Dolphin, but then I formated the device, and I haven't used anything besides the default android browser since then. It shows me web-pages, which is the main thing I'm after. I haven't really given it much thought. Is there one I should be using?

RiceMonster
January 8th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Safari. Works very well.

I tried Opera Mini, but I found it didn't have any features over Safari, didn't render pages as well, and was often not recognized as a mobile browser.

or3x
January 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I use Dolphin HD for Android, the main reasons being: Flash, screen-adjusting text and great tab functionality

doorknob60
January 8th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I have an iPod Touch, so I use Safari. I hope to be able to install Android on it, but it doesn't support my model yet. Oh well, iOS isn't too bad when it's jailbroken. Safari is a very good browser though, the only problem is no Flash, but I don't really need it.

aysiu
January 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I have a MyTouch 3G (the original, not the better ones), so I have a 528 MHz processor and 192 MB of RAM. Flash isn't happening. And any resource-intensive browser isn't happening.

I've tried xScope, Browser, Coco, Opera Mini, Opera Mobile, Skyfire, Steel, Dolphin, Dolphin HD, Dolphin Mini, and just about every other browser I could find in the Android Market.

For an underspec'ed smartphone like mine, the best combo I've found is to use Dolphin Mini as the default browser and Opera Mini as a browser if I happen to have only one or two bars on the Edge (slower) network.

Dolphin Mini is extremely easy to use and for a traditional render-as-you-download browser is relatively fast. I can switch tabs with the volume keys. I can close a tab by tapping on the tab. It's easy to switch to fullscreen. It's easy to change the user agent. Long-pressing on a link allows me to open it in either the foreground or the background through the context menu.

Opera Mini, as far as I understand it, renders pages on their servers and then sends compressed the already-rendered pages to my phone. Maybe I'm not understanding all the technical details of how it works, but it is fast, and on a slow phone like mine that makes a huge difference. Complicated pages can load within 5-8 seconds instead of 30-60 seconds.

Hur Dur
January 8th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I use Safari. Unfortunately, it is a pile of crap, but I mostly just use my iPod Touch for gaming and listening to music, so I don't use it often. As much as I hate Safari, it helped me through configuring GRUB from the grub menu.

RiceMonster
January 8th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I use Safari. Unfortunately, it is a pile of crap, but I mostly just use my iPod Touch for gaming and listening to music, so I don't use it often. As much as I hate Safari, it helped me through configuring GRUB from the grub menu.

What exactly makes it "a pile of crap"?

Hur Dur
January 8th, 2011, 07:36 PM
What exactly makes it "a pile of crap"?

I have one major complaint:

It crashes. A lot. I mean every other time I use it.

RiceMonster
January 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I have one major complaint:

It crashes. A lot. I mean every other time I use it.

Strange. I have an iPhone 4, and I have never had it crash even once. I have only seen 3rd party apps crash.

HappinessNow
January 8th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Mozilla Firefox Web Browser on Google Nexus One using Android OS (Gingerbread 2.3.1)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TSiwZv4DjsI/AAAAAAAAA4k/mEhyK5BAKAA/CAP201101081042.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wj75JfyDVxs/TSi2KUbjWVI/AAAAAAAAA4o/W352U2Uk4P4/CAP201101081107.jpg

earthpigg
January 9th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I use Opera. Even before I had an android phone, they have a simple java version that ran on my $10 dumbphone and kicked the crap out of the built in browser.

Nickedynick
January 9th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I've tried installing other browsers on my HTC Desire, (Opera Mini, Firefox, Dolphin, Skyfire, etc.), but I always end up coming back to the stock browser. Google put a whole load of emphasis on enhancing it for Froyo, and I reckon it'll be a while before someone tops it. Although I'm sure some of you will disagree :)

treesurf
January 9th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I'm using Miren Browser for Android. It was originally a Chinese only app, but has recently been translated into english and now appears on the market. I've tried most of those mentioned in this thread and Miren is my favorite. It works swiftly even on my slow, almost obsolete HTC Hero.

Opera is best if you're on a slow connection, but I find it has problems rendering pages correctly.

TeoBigusGeekus
January 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM
HTC Desire here - Froyo. I use Opera Mobile. I wish I could use Opera Mini, but I can't stand the 1x pinch zoom.
The built in browser is very good as well...

Naiki Muliaina
January 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Opera Mini all the way for me. Haven't found another browser I like as much.

The Real Dave
January 9th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Opera Mini 5, on my Sony Ericsson K800i :)

koleoptero
January 9th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Opera mini is the only decent browser for my sony ericsson w595 phone. I use it very rarely though.

ubudog
October 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
My own PrivateBrowser for Android.

Edit: Using a T-Mobile G2. (HTC Vision)

BrokenKingpin
October 7th, 2011, 09:57 PM
What ever the default browser in Android it. I personally can't stand browsing the web on my phone, if I am at home or work I will use my computer. If I am not at either of those places I am generally out with friends and not sitting on my phone the whole time I am out.

sarton85
October 7th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I am using Opera Mini on my rooted LG Optimus 2x.

LinuxFan999
October 7th, 2011, 11:16 PM
On my Motorola Xoom, I use the stock android browser, which works pretty well, but crashes if I visit any of these three sites: Seeking alpha, techcrunch, and Wikipedia.
I heard that Google Chrome is coming to Android soon, and I am looking forward to it.

On my iPod touch, I use Safari, since it is the default browser, although I find it to be a little buggy, and it starts randomly crashing is the cache gets too large. Strangely, Safari on Mac and PC also has this same bug.

sn0m
October 7th, 2011, 11:39 PM
delphin on my motorola atrix

jonkiribati
October 9th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I'm using Dolphin HD for Android :p

tigerplug
October 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I'm using Firefox on my HTC Desire HD but with all the talk about Opera Mini on here, I think I'm going to try it out!

hakermania
October 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Opera

polardude1983
October 9th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I use Atomic Web Browser for iPhone

galacticaboy
October 9th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Well since we just have a crappy old cell phone, there actually is no browser... =-\

binary00mind
October 9th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I've Nexus One.
I have tried all browsers and some of them have issues logging in to certain sites (popular ones)
In the past I liked Skyfire but they destroyed that app (look above)

So I use 2 browsers the Default one and Opera....depending what I do. Both of them rocks.

arzali
October 9th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I use mobile safari on my ipod touch because it has everything i need for a mobile browser (after jailbraking it :))
It now has full screen browsing, gesture control, ad block and a download manager.
The only thing it lacks is flash but i didn't really missed it

peter d
October 9th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Opera Mobile on Android.
Can't abide Opera on the desktop, but love it on my phone.