PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade samba on 10.04 from 3.4.7 to 3.5.6

rubicks
January 8th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I'm pretty much new to linux, so i don't know my way around too much. My friend setup a 10.04 server for me, and it works great for the most part.

i've been having issues with samba, which i talked about here with no responses:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1661724

Since I only have a partial backup I don't want to mess with updating to 10.10 because i'm worried my data would get erased and/or the software raid 0 would get messed up. And since he had trouble setting it up, i don't want to mess with it.

I want to upgrade to 3.5.6 samba and i was wondering if you guys could help me out or point me to a good guide. i haven't found any that i'm comfortable following. sudo apt-get update and upgrade aren't grabbing the latest version.

davidmohammed
January 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM
there is a 64bit version of 3.5.6 samba - I dont know about the quality or authenticity of this ppa though.

Add the PPA with:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:polslinux/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install samba

rubicks
January 8th, 2011, 07:23 PM
there is a 64bit version of 3.5.6 samba - I dont know about the quality or authenticity of this ppa though.

Add the PPA with:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:polslinux/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install samba

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:polslinux was what ended up working, but other than that it worked great.

can i leave this repository or should i remove it?

thanks for the help!

unfortunately, it didn't help my speed issues. :(

CharlesA
January 8th, 2011, 07:24 PM
You can leave it.