PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Help toddler did something and now big trouble

leighahh
January 8th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Ok so I just had surgery on my back and because I know my 4 year old loves computers I turned it from the hard drive but also the power source. Yet in still when I woke up it was on and he was pushing a ton of things. I ran over to see it shutting down with no clue as to what he had done. However, when I rebooted here is what is wrong:

All taskbars on top and bottom are missing
Right click use to work but now when i right click nothig happens
No Icons
and when I put in the recovery disk it wouldn't run it

SOmeone please help

Here is what I have I am running version 10.10 I have tried taskbar reset no luck, I have tried to reset to default settings but couldn't access anything to do so, when I get inside the terminal I have no real clue what to do.

Someone please tell me what I need to do or how to fix this. Thank you so much!

SnickerSnack
January 8th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Well, try this. Run xfce4-panel from the terminal. Anything? If the screen is only black with white text, try "startx".

Please describe what your screen looks like. I'm not even sure what you have to work with.

The recovery disks won't work if the BIOS isn't configured to boot from the cd-drive before the HD. If you don't know what that means, or if you need help checking whether it is set up, just ask.

Also, to be honest, I don't know what "taskbar reset" means. Can you be more descriptive?

leighahh
January 8th, 2011, 03:08 PM
ok can you please tell me how to do what you suggested? Im not sure how to and I dont want to mess anything up.

The taskbar reset was a program that I found that stated that it would reset my taskbar to default but it didnt work.

leighahh
January 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
ok duh i got the panel back with the xfce4-panel but i still cannot right click. it doesnt work.

EDIT: Wait it only works so long as the terminal window is up then goes away again

leighahh
January 8th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Ok it is fixed!!!!! I am now able to right click and the taskbar is set to stay put now. THank you for your help.

SnickerSnack
January 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
No problemo.