PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook on Dell Mini w/failed SSD

Robbobden
January 8th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I have a Dell Mini 9 with a failed SSD. I created a bootable USB drive from the Ubuntu-10.10-netbook-i386.iso. It boots up the Dell Mini ok. If after selecting 'try ubuntu' from the Live USB and setting the desktop and wireless up, is there a way I could image that config on the same or different USB. It would be like installing Ubuntu 10.10 on a USB device instead of a HD. The Mini has 1G RAM.

RDL

Robbobden
January 8th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Yo, No one's done this or there's no interest then ? It takes a long, long, long .... long time to load from the USB to RAM. Then you have the try/install screen where you select 'try'. Then another long, long ... long wait for the Desktop. No way ! I'd like to boot up from USB to Desktop directly and have all settings the way I like plus wireless loaded and ready to go in under a minute or two. Is this possible ?

RDL

Robbobden
January 10th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Ok, I think the Universal USB Installer by PendriveLinux.com will do the job for me. It's a Windows software package, though. I couldn't find where there's a Linux version of it. Will post back if this works for me.

RDL

Robbobden
March 10th, 2013, 10:49 PM
This is an old post ! I figured this out a long time ago. By using an external USB CDROM drive loaded with Ubuntu 12.04 LiveCD. Installed Ubuntu to 8G USB easily. Been booting up with that for over a year now. I'd mark this solved but can't figure out how.

RDL

tgalati4
March 11th, 2013, 04:15 AM
SSD's have come down in price. Why didn't you just replace the SSD?