PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Mount USB HDDs w/o Invoking Nautilus?

Sean Moran
January 8th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Could post in 'Desktop Environments' or 'General Help' but it's not a matter of life nor death, nor an urgent matter either, so I hope the Cafè is a satisfactory place to thread, in the hope that someone might have a quick solution off the top of their head ...

A nice long slim Nautilus window is usually open on the right-hand third of my #1 desktop throughout each session, and very rarely is there a need for another. USB flash drives with a single partition aren't a major hassle - insert the stick and another Nautilus window opens by default - I just X close it.

Now though, with these twin WD-Passport external USB HDDs, I've got five partitions on each, and usually plug both into the USB sockets as a pair, which results in ten (10) more long slim Nautilus windows appearing on the active desktop. Ten (10) extra Nautilus windows that I don't need, and so ten (10) X close clicks to clear up the mess on the desktop.

Something tells me that there is probably a simple adjustment to some config file in the /etc directory that would stop these extra Nautilus windows opening whenever a USB disk drive is inserted/mounted, but like many Linux dilemmas, the exact adjustment is much more mysterious when one doesn't know what to do, than when one does.

So I write this thread to ask if anyone might know how to change the Gnome or Nautilus config to NOT open a new Nautilus window everytime a USB flash stick gets plugged in?

Thank you in advance if you have solved such a minor annoyance before and can share the procedure.

FuturePilot
January 8th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Edit > Preferences > Media uncheck "Browse media when inserted"

Sean Moran
January 8th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Edit > Preferences > Media uncheck "Browse media when inserted"

Okay, thanks. Now how can I stop the pain in my jaw from laughing so much at how I could miss such a simple fix that was right there all along but I never even thought to look past the Preferences > Views tab ?

Many thanks FuturePilot. Now I must go and find someone out in the street to help me check on whether the back of my head is on fire. LOL.
:D