PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Scared to upgrade

Sidrabs
January 8th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Hello,

I have used Kubuntu on my PC for some time, have serveral user accounts with docs and apps in their home folders, have installed some apps and confugured them, etc.

Now I kind of want to switch to Ubuntu, and I am worried if I do everything correctly. What is suggested course of action, in order to preserve the user accounts and installed apps? I don't want to leave some mess behind, too - whatever is no longer needed (because Kubuntu is not run), that should be uninstalled/deleted. Perhapse there is some contradiction between my willingness to preserve the state and delete the unneeded, and I am doomed to either reinstall the apps I want to keep, or manually weed the unneeded apps, if I keep all of them in the installation process. But maybe there is some wonderful migration tool that would help in this process?

zvacet
January 8th, 2011, 01:48 PM
because Kubuntu is not run

What doas it mean?Do you have internet connection?If you do jusr switch from Kubuntu to ubuntu desktop as described here. (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/puregnome)

Sidrabs
January 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
because Kubuntu is not run

Well, perhaps I'm not very precise in my terminology. In the site you pointed to, I see that the command removes all the apps that make the Kubuntu Kubuntu, so apparently it's what I need. All the extra apps what I have installed will not be touched by this package removal.

But, will this command remove the KDE manager itself? And, will there be the normal Gnome shell present? Perhaps there's some decent way how to check that? An if not, perhaps there's some simple enough command for installing it?

Plus, I really would like to get rid of all unneeded stuff - can I be sure that my system will not have some widowed files here and there, what were needed for the Kubuntu install, but no longer needed for clean Ubuntu?

zvacet
January 10th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Commands you see on link will remove all KDE apps and install Gnome desktop,so you will have (as title said) pure Gnome.