PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] compizconfig - lost all hotkey abilities

Ubuntnoob13
January 8th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Big surprise, I want t desktop cube, so I followed the youtube guide here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_84304&v=Y772Zrjwgws&feature=iv).

When I enter simple compiz config and start to change the Ultimate profile, then I lose the ability to do key commands like alt+tab and consequently I cannot use things like the switcher, or cube. The only desktop hotkeys that I can currently do (that I know of) is ctrl+alt+left/right to move to next desktop. How do I enable hotkeys to work again?

Thanks in advance.

Krytarik
January 8th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Then try to enable/configure the plugins with "CompizConfig Settings Manager".

Ubuntnoob13
January 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM
So, it seems like the issue is that I have an ATI video card and I cannot enable Visual Effects: Custom. When I try to enable it says, "Desktop effects could not be enabled"

Doing some research and fiddling, it seems like I'm having ATI driver issues. I am trying to completely remove the drivers, but I'm coming across the following issues:

sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx*
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri fglrx-modaliases
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ubuntnoob13
January 10th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Not sure if this is worth anything either:

apt-get install -f
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

Krytarik
January 11th, 2011, 02:21 AM
1.) You have to close any other package managers (like Synaptic) before you enter those commands.

2.) You have always to run them with "sudo" as prefix.

3.) Check this guide regarding your driver issue: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Lucid_Installation_Guide