PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Keyboard or Mouse after upgrade to 10.04.

tennis_mutt
January 8th, 2011, 01:08 AM
No Keyboard or Mouse after upgrade to 10.04.
I ave a dell laptop Inspiron 1545 whick came from Dell with Ubuntu 8.04 on it. After a short time I upgraded to 8.10 when Dell released an upgrade for it.

I just started getting messages about support being dropped for that relesase. So I did the upgrade to 9.04 which seemed to go well except for losing the scratch pad which no longer worked. But I plugged a mouse into the USB port and that worked. I then decided that I might as well update to 10.04 LTS which seemed to go well until the reboot.

When the system gets to the login, the mouse and keyboard do not work at all. The screen looks OK. I Downloaded the 10.04 live CD and it works with no problem. I can get to the hard drive from the live CD or booting up into single user character mode.

I can get character based programs to work, but no GUI. Is there a way to do a complete reconfigure of the system. I know Solaris has a sysunconfig which will start asking questions like it was a clean install.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. I think I I could reconfigure X11 I might have a chance to save it.

I did try to use an old version of the xorg.conf file but it did not help.