PDA

View Full Version : using gcc 3.4

lgoss007
February 23rd, 2005, 02:16 AM
I keep running into this problem:

g++: Internal error: Killed (program cclplus)

And I noticed that Ubuntu uses gcc/g++ 3.3 by default. Is there a way or a make option, besides setting it in the makefile, to compile with gcc/g++ 3.4 by default?

dataw0lf
February 24th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Run a memtest for me. And tell me how much memory you have to start with.
dataw0lf

lgoss007
February 24th, 2005, 04:56 PM
bash: memtest: command not found.

Are you talking about the memtest that can be run on boot? memtest86+?

256M, no failures.

I eventually got 3.3 to work by just doing make over and over again. Why is gcc 3.3 the default and not 3.4?

dataw0lf
February 24th, 2005, 10:51 PM
The reason why I asked about memory is that the error you listed is one associated with too little memory and/or bad memory.
dataw0lf

tbair
August 10th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I was able to solve this error but doing:

apt-get install build-essential

neilp85
August 13th, 2006, 04:52 PM
As a follow up, you can set your default compiler to any gcc version you want with the following commands:

export CC='gcc-<version num>'
export CXX='g++-<version num>'

This works well with any program that's built with an autoconfiguration tool that actually uses these variables but not so well with makefiles that are coded by hand. I've yet to find a way to easily change those.

DoktorSeven
August 14th, 2006, 09:33 AM
This works well with any program that's built with an autoconfiguration tool that actually uses these variables but not so well with makefiles that are coded by hand. I've yet to find a way to easily change those.

Continuing to unearth an old thread, there is usually a line at the beginning of hand-coded makefiles that specify the compiler, usually

CC=gcc

Change that to

CC=gcc-3.4