PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving from FreeBSD to Ubuntu?

sureshot007
January 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I just inherited a bunch of FreeBSD servers that need to be upgraded (hardware), and since I have very minimal experience with FreeBSD, I have been toying with the idea of migrating them to another OS. Trouble is, I have no experience with Ubuntu.

Does anyone recommend one of the other? If I decide to go down this path, is there anything I should be aware of for making a smooth transition between OS's?

blind2314
January 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Well, if there are no requirements or restrictions for what applications you need to run, and if one OS doesn't offer any inherent advantage over the other for what your company/person needs to do..then just do whatever you feel like doing.

Ubuntu will be easier to setup and manage than the BSD variant, but it can be a bit more bloated than other distros (user-friendliness can come at a price sometimes).

nothingspecial
January 7th, 2011, 06:57 PM
While the Ubuntu desktop version is aimed at beginners to linux, Ubuntu server is command line only, just like bsd.

If you know a bit about bsd and nothing about linux/ubuntu you`d probably be better off sticking with bsd.

That being said, there is a lot more documentation on the internet for ubuntu.

Edit Thinking about it, there is also alot more bad/out_of_date documentation on the internet for Ubuntu Edit

sureshot007
January 7th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Right now it's just for a few web servers. The FreeBSD servers are currently on 6 and would need an upgrade if I stayed with them. Decisions, decisions...

nothingspecial
January 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Ok then,

why not have a play with linux before you take the plunge. Maybe on a spare partition at home.