PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i did something stupid with icons

Arthur Millar
January 7th, 2011, 03:38 PM
hi
I was installing a new set of icons with terminal to
/usr/share/icons
(buuf 1.6)the icon theme was outdated so i wanted to replace it with the new one.
in my haste i typed

pc1@pc1:~S sudo rm -r buuf /usr/share/icons
which deleted the whole /usr/share/icons folder *smacks himself
i have tried to reinstall the missing icon themes but some of my applications have lost there icons even tho i reinstalled them

what can i do to reset this
i thought of installing gnome but i dont know
please help

thameera
January 7th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Did you try changing the theme? Or installing a new theme? It will restore the icons I guess.

coffeecat
January 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Try booting up from the live CD and copying from the live session /usr/share/icons/ folder whatever is missing from your hard drive install. Take care with /usr/share/icons/default/. It contains a single symlink called index.theme linking to /etc/alternatives/x-cursor-theme which you may have to re-create. I'm not sure it will copy correctly. Also there are the cursor themes but a copy from the live session should fix this.

Arthur Millar
January 7th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Did you try changing the theme? Or installing a new theme? It will restore the icons I guess.

yeah i tried that but it seems that there are a few programs that store their icons somewhere else

Brasero
Agave
Shotwell
AWN
Rythembox
Empathy
screenlets
Virtualbox
and a whole lot more (Sh*t)#-o

Arthur Millar
January 8th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Try booting up from the live CD and copying from the live session /usr/share/icons/ folder whatever is missing from your hard drive install. Take care with /usr/share/icons/default/. It contains a single symlink called index.theme linking to /etc/alternatives/x-cursor-theme which you may have to re-create. I'm not sure it will copy correctly. Also there are the cursor themes but a copy from the live session should fix this.

well i managed that but it didn't seem to make any difference
its a pitty that root has no trash bin cause then i could have restored stuff
i have reinstalled a whole stack of the programs that missed icons and the icons are all inplace so its probably a file in which these icons are listed.
has to be done manually i guess.
may as well just reinstall my system *sigh probably would be faster

thameera
January 8th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Check the following links. May be of some help.

http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=845210
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/human-icon-theme/