PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot HELP :(

@zur3
January 7th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Hello everyone

Im in a very, very, very bad situation.

I have Ubuntu 10.10 netboock remix and Back Track 4 running as a dual boot, and Im sure you've heard about the error 15 problem.

The easiest method that I've found was a reinstall, HOWEVER, I was booting the BT4 from my only usb drive and needed to erase my back-up that was on it... (stupid, i know. No comment please:S )

What I am looking for is a way to recover my data from sda1 using ubuntu usb, and transfering it to another usb drive.

I've just arrived at my local Cyber-cafe and bought a new usb just for the occasion... Im in REAL big trouble people! My dessertation is due on Monday, and I need to recover this data! :(

Eternally grateful for any help with the issue

@zur3

P.S

I know its too much to ask, but a step-by-step instruction would be really helpful. I've already booted the Ubuntu live usb, so my future hero (you) can help me set it up from that step.

stoogiebuncho
January 7th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I've never had to do this myself, so I'm afraid I can't give you first hand instructions, but I'd suggest checking out the Community Ubuntu Documentation on Data Recovery:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

That might give you something to work on while you wait for other responses.

@zur3
January 7th, 2011, 04:10 PM
It was messy, and required ALOT of help from the people at the IRC chanels, but I came through!

They helped me locate the home folder, I was missing my user name from the command! lol

In any case, thank you for your support stoogiebuncho!
Your a star for trying to help!:guitar:

Please lock as appropriate

Thank you!

--
@zur3