PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Transcoding several .VOB files to a single .ogg

Aero_Zeppelin
January 7th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have a large number of Dvd movies stored on an external hard drive (not ripped,just copied) in the .vob format,and in most cases there are around 2 or 3 .vob files for a single movie.So my question is,How do i transcode several .vob movie files into a single .ogg or .avi file?Which transcoding application is the best for doing the same?Thanks in advance.

TeoBigusGeekus
January 7th, 2011, 10:52 AM
The best is ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i file1.VOB -vtag xvid -vcodec mpeg4 -b 3000k -acodec libmp3lame -ab 192k file1.avi
You'll end up with some avi files, let's say 3 of them. Use mencoder to create one file of them:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -o NameOfMovie.avi file1.avi file2.avi file3.avi

Aero_Zeppelin
January 7th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Any GUI tool to do this?

Ghost_Mazal
January 7th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Handbrake is a good gui for encoding video

JohnAStebbins
January 9th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Handbrake is a good gui for encoding video

HandBrake doesn't create ogg or avi files which the OP asked for. It can only create mp4 and mkv. These are better containers, but older devices don't support them.

To combine several vob files when using handbrake, you would have to concatenate them first.

cat file1.vob file2.vob file3.vob > file.vob

TeoBigusGeekus
January 9th, 2011, 10:47 PM
To combine several vob files when using handbrake, you would have to concatenate them first.

Using cat to concatenate video files could lead to problems with the resulting file (video-sound not syncing, lost frames, etc. better use mencoder for concatenation.

Aero_Zeppelin
January 10th, 2011, 09:39 AM
ffmpeg -i file1.VOB -vtag xvid -vcodec mpeg4 -b 3000k -acodec libmp3lame -ab 192k file1.avi
When i do this in the terminal,it starts processing the files but later shows an error that the libmp3lame is missing.

TeoBigusGeekus
January 10th, 2011, 09:43 AM
See this (https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+faq/1040) and try again.

Synthetic Sam
January 10th, 2011, 09:44 AM
HandBrake doesn't create ogg or avi files which the OP asked for. It can only create mp4 and mkv. These are better containers, but older devices don't support them.

In handbrake, if you load the first vob from a series (files are stored logically, for example on DVD) then it will automatically read the entire vobset in my experience. You can select the titleset and chapter range that you want to transcode.

Aero_Zeppelin
January 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM
See this (https://answers.launchpad.net/openshot/+faq/1040) and try again.

Synaptic is showing two libavformats- libavformat-extra-52 and libavformat-unstripped-52.Which one should i install?

TeoBigusGeekus
January 10th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Try all.