PDA

View Full Version : You've been deactivated

MooPi
January 7th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Okay I'm gonna come clean, I had a Facebook account. I know it's lame but I was using it to access different links that invariably are Facebooked info. Well a couple days ago I just had enough of the inane messages that kept streaming into my inbox about 'you've been gifted, try this drink, have this special gift from, what someone thinks about you !. Now I've read that Facebook is the most visited address on the web surpassing Google. This makes me think that the stories about aliens sending rogue radio waves to turn our brains into gelatinous tasty pudding pops may be true. I deactivated my account and will become that self imposed internet hermit dwelling amongst the dial-up and unconnected computer users. I should be so lucky to never ever get another Facebook GIFT.
Seriously is anyone else just as fed up

~LoKe
January 7th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Nope. I know what Facebook is and I know what it's for. I have the app installed on my phone and I only get notifications if someone posts on my wall or sends me a message. All e-mail are diverted into a subfolder which I never see, and all application invites have been blocked thus far.

Haven't had an issue to complain about in a while now.

NightwishFan
January 7th, 2011, 06:17 AM
:/ I can agree. I just do not understand why people use it for such inane things, however whatever floats their boat. I refuse to add apps and block requests to them and basically im not bothered by them, and just talk to the handful of people I know.

steve161
January 7th, 2011, 06:19 AM
You do know that the Ubuntu Forums has a friend request function?

You may ignore my request without guilt.

dgw
January 7th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I deactivated my account and will become that self imposed internet hermit dwelling amongst the dial-up and unconnected computer users.

I've never used Facebook and if that makes me a hermit, so be it. I just don't see the allure of it.

wilee-nilee
January 7th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I've never used Facebook and if that makes me a hermit, so be it. I just don't see the allure of it.

You don't want to be socially engineered, come on.:) every bodies doing it.

Not a member either.

Chronon
January 7th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Eh. It can be a useful tool. I don't do apps or causes or any other stuff. I use it to stay in touch with friends who I don't see frequently. It has been responsible for more than one interstate concert experience.

If you don't find it useful then don't use it.

earthpigg
January 7th, 2011, 07:54 AM
My status, since october:

Sabbatical from facebook. Will continue to be on Facebook IM, but won't be keeping up on anything. My email is emailaddresshere@domain.com and my phone number is XXX XXX XXXX. All my privacy settings are set to "only me."
October 25, 2010 at 6:19pm

I commented on it:

Final Comment:

http://www.pidgin.im/
http://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php

...Lets you talk on Facebook chat, and others, without needing to open your web browser or go to the Facebook website.

:D
October 25, 2010 at 6:55pm

I think this is a happy compromise for me. Folks younger than me, increasingly, have no IM protocol in use other than fbook chat. I strongly dislike phone conversations and am lukewarm about texting, so it's necessary for me to maintain communication on the currently favored IM protocol if I want to communicate with anyone other than in-person.

armageddon08
January 7th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Okay I'm gonna come clean, I had a Facebook account. I know it's lame but I was using it to access different links that invariably are Facebooked info. Well a couple days ago I just had enough of the inane messages that kept streaming into my inbox about 'you've been gifted, try this drink, have this special gift from, what someone thinks about you !. Now I've read that Facebook is the most visited address on the web surpassing Google. This makes me think that the stories about aliens sending rouge radio waves to turn our brains into gelatinous tasty pudding pops may be true. I deactivated my account and will become that self imposed internet hermit dwelling amongst the dial-up and unconnected computer users. I should be so lucky to never ever get another Facebook GIFT.

Why would having a facebook account be lame?

lovinglinux
January 7th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I had a similar experience with Orkut, which is very popular in my country. Some years ago I had a profile there. It was kind of interesting in the beginning, but then that thing turned into a spam/scam heaven. So I deleted my account and have been happy ever since. Don't miss it at all.

Never used Facebook and I'm not interested.

andymorton
January 7th, 2011, 10:30 AM
It's been a great way to get back in touch with people I knew at school who, for one reason or another, I wouldn't otherwise be able to talk to. I agree that some aspects of it can be quite tedious, e.g. someone posting a status saying they've just gone to a shop to buy chocolate but generally I like it. The main reason I go on there these days though it to play Cityville. Tragically I think I've become addicted to it.

robert shearer
January 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM
MooPi@
aliens sending rouge radio waves

Whats the significance of red waves ?
Are they worse than blue or green or even Ubuntu tan and orange ?? :p

Endomancer
January 7th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I use facebook as most of my family are on it and quite a few friends from here there and everywhere.
I don't play any of the games and the only quizzes I do are the ones where you write it as a note. I use to get a lot of game/app/quiz/etc requests but just ignored them all, eventually the list got so long that it wouldn't allow anymore requests, so now I don't have to worry about them.
Although since upgrading to lucid I rarely see my facebook page but use gwibber for statuses and empathy for chat

DeadSuperHero
January 7th, 2011, 01:45 PM
If you want an alternative community, you could try registering over at the diasp.org pod and get an invite-free Diaspora experience. You can even add people from the main Diaspora server as friends (joindiaspora.com) if you really wanted to. :)

MooPi
January 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM
MooPi@

Whats the significance of red waves ?
Are they worse than blue or green or even Ubuntu tan and orange ?? :pThanks for pointing out (fingers faster than brain)

Why would having a facebook account be lame?Facebook is lame because it's turned into endless internet drivel, akin to spam in my opinion. I guess I'm just antisocial :(

Spice Weasel
January 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Facebook seems like spam/ads because that's what it is. People aren't Facebook's customers, they are its product.

I guess I'm just antisocial :(

You and 99% of the free software community. Welcome to the club! :lol:

inobe
January 7th, 2011, 03:10 PM
fakebook, a place for fakes and dates/ sooooo lonely aren't you :lol:

chriswyatt
January 8th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I probably waste a couple of minutes on it each day, just quickly scan my news feed and a few sarcastic replies here and there, and I'm done! I've never really got into the more inane side of Facebook (chucking sheep, sending gifts, adopting stupid farm animals etc. etc.)

Shpongle
January 8th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Okay I'm gonna come clean, I had a Facebook account. I know it's lame but I was using it to access different links that invariably are Facebooked info. Well a couple days ago I just had enough of the inane messages that kept streaming into my inbox about 'you've been gifted, try this drink, have this special gift from, what someone thinks about you !. Now I've read that Facebook is the most visited address on the web surpassing Google. This makes me think that the stories about aliens sending rogue radio waves to turn our brains into gelatinous tasty pudding pops may be true. I deactivated my account and will become that self imposed internet hermit dwelling amongst the dial-up and unconnected computer users. I should be so lucky to never ever get another Facebook GIFT.

yep , thats why I use twiter so I can post anonymously whatever the hell I want and actually say what I want without being subject to personal data mining . Facebook for me is just a phonebook its content is mediocre at best, people talking about this <insert talentless act> here and there, liking anything that is put in front of them. Personally I dont want everybody knowing what I have for breakfast or whatever ...who cares. I'd rather hear about a mission to mars etc

At least twitter servers a purpose , I can keep up with my news , foss projects , linux stuff , music , free speech (wikileaks) etc without being surrounded by idiots. No disrespect to anyone using facebook but thats being my experience of it .

Matthewthegreat
January 8th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one here that doesn't use facebook. I have a account but I rarely ever look at it.

:popcorn:

MisterGaribaldi
January 8th, 2011, 02:18 AM
This makes me think that the stories about aliens sending rogue radio waves to turn our brains into gelatinous tasty pudding pops may be true.

Heh. Indeed.

I deactivated my account and will become that self imposed internet hermit dwelling amongst the dial-up and unconnected computer users.

Now you're starting to sound like Obiwan Kenobi. Which, apart from the guilt of having a former student be the bane of the universe and eventually sacrificing himself for his new friends to escape, is actually pretty cool. You going for the robed, bearded, lightsaber-wielding look?

CraigPaleo
January 8th, 2011, 04:58 AM
I find it useful to keep in touch with relatives who are spread out all over the country.

I used to have 2400 gaming friends who were in a separate list with limited permissions. Since I've quit gaming, I deleted them all and have about 80 real friends and relatives left.

I never use Facebook connect and you can easily block apps singly or all apps under Privacy Settings so you don't have to deal with the spam.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9690/selection040.jpg

Superkoop
January 8th, 2011, 05:35 AM
At least twitter servers a purpose , I can keep up with my news , foss projects , linux stuff , music , free speech (wikileaks) etc without being surrounded by idiots.

You seriously think Twitter is more purposeful than Facebook? I beg to differ, I feel as if Twitter is like Facebook stripped of everything except statuses... It can be just as stupid as FB...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Axzxe1a78E
:)

Personally I believe it's all what you make it, who you choose to be friends with, and how you take in that information. All social platforms have the tendency to be annoying, but that is nothing more than people for you... if no one has noticed, people can be annoying. If you choose to be friends with people who write statuses that you don't appreciate, then you invited that into your life, live with it or block it.

I use Facebook, and I am not ashamed whatsoever, nor do I see a reason to be. I am a college student, and I have a lot of friends and people to contact for various organization on campus. Email is the most reliable, however it's generally the slowest. Also, I have quite a few friends, and it's enjoyable to FB chat friends when I'm away or I'm trying to set up times to hang out. It's also nice to share pictures, news, online findings, interesting stories, and just have fun with friends.
Sure, I guess it's giving into the 'closed' 'mainstream' normal uneducated people of the world, but who cares? ...Honestly folks, the thing that bothers me the most about the open source community in general is the extreme pretentiousness, all related to a silly operating system/kernel and the computer world. Sometimes I feel as if people make this a religion, filled with all of the obnoxious traits and lacking any real substance other than data on a computer.

$0.02:popcorn:

user1397
January 8th, 2011, 09:08 AM
You seriously think Twitter is more purposeful than Facebook? I beg to differ, I feel as if Twitter is like Facebook stripped of everything except statuses... It can be just as stupid as FB...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Axzxe1a78E

Personally I believe it's all what you make it, who you choose to be friends with, and how you take in that information. All social platforms have the tendency to be annoying, but that is nothing more than people for you... if no one has noticed, people can be annoying. If you choose to be friends with people who write statuses that you don't appreciate, then you invited that into your life, live with it or block it.

I use Facebook, and I am not ashamed whatsoever, nor do I see a reason to be. I am a college student, and I have a lot of friends and people to contact for various organization on campus. Email is the most reliable, however it's generally the slowest. Also, I have quite a few friends, and it's enjoyable to FB chat friends when I'm away or I'm trying to set up times to hang out. It's also nice to share pictures, news, online findings, interesting stories, and just have fun with friends.
Sure, I guess it's giving into the 'closed' 'mainstream' normal uneducated people of the world, but who cares? ...Honestly folks, the thing that bothers me the most about the open source community in general is the extreme pretentiousness, all related to a silly operating system/kernel and the computer world. Sometimes I feel as if people make this a religion, filled with all of the obnoxious traits and lacking any real substance other than data on a computer.

$0.02:popcorn:ubuntuman001 likes this.

zer010
January 8th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I have a FB account, but all my friends are people I know in real life. I check it maybe twice a day. I ignore any and all requests pertaining to apps, games, and the like. I have friends that are addicted to those crappy games and that's about all they use FB for. If I want to chat with someone on FB I use empathy, even if I'm on the FB page. I've thought about getting rid of my account, but seeing that FB will only deactivate the account instead of deleting it, I'd rather keep an eye on it and manage it myself. About once a week I go through my profile and delete all entries and any photos besides my profile photo. Some people put their entire lives on there and it's getting crazy. For those that update every thing they do, it can bite back. Thieves are known to look up people and rob their houses when they clearly state they are not there.

areteichi
January 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I've thought about getting rid of my account, but seeing that FB will only deactivate the account instead of deleting it, I'd rather keep an eye on it and manage it myself.

Actually, there is a way to delete your account permanently:
http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=15663
http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=13016

msandoy
January 8th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I deactivated my account and deleted it 14 months ago, FB to me was only a huge nag machine. I see in this thread, some guys think their anti social. You are here aren't you? This is a social network. So if this is being anti social, then so be it, I'm in. :-)
14 months clean and counting...

zer010
January 8th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Actually, there is a way to delete your account permanently:
http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=15663
http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=13016
Cool, thanks!

inobe
January 8th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I deactivated my account and deleted it 14 months ago, FB to me was only a huge nag machine. I see in this thread, some guys think their anti social. You are here aren't you? This is a social network. So if this is being anti social, then so be it, I'm in. :-)
14 months clean and counting...

ubuntu forums is the most useful social networking site ever :)

everyone else remember that!

OldBoy44
January 8th, 2011, 05:50 PM
ubuntu forums is the most useful social networking site ever :)

everyone else remember that!

I am just starting out but I agree!

:D

TriBlox6432
January 10th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Yesterday I deleted all my posts, notes, pictures, tags, profile info, etc. and "permanently deleted" my account. Now I just gotta wait 13 more days, and it will be gone for good!! :D

_outlawed_
January 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Facebook stealing my personal information? No thanks.

http://www.quitfacebookday.com/

forrestcupp
January 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I spent some time blocking all app requests that I got, and blocking wall postings of all of my friends that are either annoying, only ever have postings about games they play, or I don't really know well. Then I set my settings to never email me about anything except private messages sent directly to me.

After doing all of that, Facebook hasn't been all that bad. I can just get on whenever I want and see what people have to say. It's been useful for staying in touch with people I wouldn't normally get to talk to.

Endomancer
January 10th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Facebook stealing my personal information? No thanks.

http://www.quitfacebookday.com/

Stealing personal information?
Facebook only knows what you tell it, and people put all that information there voluntarily.
If you don't want facebook to have/use some info on you, don't give it to them.

As to what they do with that information, it's all covered in the license agreement which is accepted in order to create an account. So if you don't agree/accept those terms, don't use it

CharlesA
January 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM
+1 to Endomancer.

I don't really understand putting personal info on a web site. I think the only thing I have on facebook is my name and email address, and a few pictures.

I don't get spam from them, so there's no problem for me.

forrestcupp
January 10th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I don't really understand putting personal info on a web site. I think the only thing I have on facebook is my name and email address, and a few pictures.

The problem comes when 50 other people start tagging you in their pictures. Then all of those pictures show up as yours, and there's nothing you can do about it.

CharlesA
January 10th, 2011, 10:47 PM
The problem comes when 50 other people start tagging you in their pictures. Then all of those pictures show up as yours, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Ah hah!

I haven't been tagged in pictures.. maybe that's my problem. :lol:

aysiu
January 10th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Actually, you can untag yourself.

DZ*
January 10th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Stealing personal information?
Facebook only knows what you tell it

Facebook knows more than what you tell it. I told Facebook nothing, because I've never had a Facebook account. Yet, Facebook knows which people I communicate with via email. I received a Facebook invitation from a friend who lives abroad and doesn't speak English. The Facebook invite listed six other people "that I might also know". I indeed know three of them, but that person cannot possibly know one of them because of the language, and in fact I believe that he doesn't know any of those three.

Since I don't use Facebook, I can only guess how that can be possible. Perhaps there is an option for Facebook users to consent that their contact lists from gmail, yahoo or whatever are available and can be used by Facebook.

CharlesA
January 10th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Facebook knows more than what you tell it. I told Facebook nothing, because I've never had a Facebook account. Yet, Facebook knows which people I communicate with via email. I received a Facebook invitation from a friend who lives abroad and doesn't speak English. The Facebook invite listed six other people "that I might also know". I indeed know three of them, but that person cannot possibly know one of them because of the language, and in fact I believe that he doesn't know any of those three.

Since I don't use Facebook, I can only guess how that can be possible. Perhaps there is an option for Facebook users to consent that their contact lists from gmail, yahoo or whatever are available and can be used by Facebook.
You can see if people you email are on facebook, but I have no idea how it works, as I have no need for that sort of thing.

aysiu
January 11th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Since I don't use Facebook, I can only guess how that can be possible. Perhaps there is an option for Facebook users to consent that their contact lists from gmail, yahoo or whatever are available and can be used by Facebook. There is such an option, and this is why I think people who obsess over privacy are deluding themselves. You do not own all your information. Any chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and you are not the weakest link--usually family friends are. You think sending all your email encrypted matters if your friends are forwarding it unencrypted? Or that their email passwords aren't 123456 or password?

People can even tag you in Facebook photos if you are not on Facebook and do not have a Facebook account. So if someone can take a picture of you, Facebook can know what you were doing, when, and with whom.

I'm not saying taking some care with privacy isn't reasonable, but to imagine you have total control over your privacy is just tinfoil hat city.

I have a few problems with how Facebook conducts business but overall it's a good thing in my life. It connects me with a lot of people I don't see on a regular basis, and it's an easy way to know what's going on with people who aren't otherwise good at writing emails or letters. All the mundane details some people think are boring I actually love. I do want to know what people ate for lunch or the funny thing their kids said the other day. I like the news stories and blogs people post up. If I feel a "friend" is spamming, I can choose to ignore her.

forrestcupp
January 11th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Actually, you can untag yourself.

Hmmm. I didn't know that.

Though, I think things might go ill with my wife if I went along behind her untagging myself from all of the photos she tags me in. :)

aysiu
January 11th, 2011, 03:26 AM

Though, I think things might go ill with my wife if I went along behind her untagging myself from all of the photos she tags me in. :)
Hm. Good point.

CraigPaleo
January 11th, 2011, 04:13 AM

I have a work around for you. :D

Go to Account, Privacy Settings, Customize settings.
Edit the settings of Photos and videos I'm tagged in
Choose Specific People from the dropdown menu.
Enter your wife's name as the only person who can see tagged photos of you.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5053/selection042.jpg

CharlesA
January 11th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Nice workaround!

NightwishFan
January 11th, 2011, 04:48 AM

Argh, I agree. Facebook has given me so many headaches. I also am quite a private person and people insist on posting pictures of me with them and tagging me. I am fine without the tagging.

Edit: Oh nice, I will have to look into that.

forrestcupp
January 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM

Nice!

Johnsie
January 11th, 2011, 03:44 PM
His wife can see it... but so can anyone that works at facebook. They can even sell access rights to it to people like Goldman Sachs or some Russian Billionaires. They can see it if they really want.

I found that I was using facebook to express myself... I have run a social network in the past so remember how easy it is to collect information about people from their interactions with the site. Facebook is a giant data collection tool and the amount of personal information they have about people is scary. That information can be bought and sold and we have not control over who to.

The user features can be useful, but you have to decide whether or not it is worth sacrificing your privacy for... They have everything you do on there on record and it's for sale.

koleoptero
January 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I had a facebook account with photos and stuff which I deleted 2 years ago. I tried to go without it for some months but it's just too good for keeping in touch with people you don't have other ways to (or hate phone calls like me). So I registered again a new account and use it only to keep in touch. I have blocked all apps, and use empathy for facebook chat. I only open the page to check if someone has sent a pm or has posted a funny/cool video/pic. Email notifications are handled by evolution (they go to a "special" folder and are marked as read upon arrival). So now I only keep what's good about it and not anything bad.

The only personal info in there is my name, my friends, and a couple of likes (supernatural ftw).

CraigPaleo
January 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
The user features can be useful, but you have to decide whether or not it is worth sacrificing your privacy for... They have everything you do on there on record and it's for sale.

I don't do anything illegal. Besides, Google knows more about me than Facebook. I don't see any point in getting all paranoid about these things.

aysiu
January 11th, 2011, 07:25 PM
It's not in Facebook's financial best interests to sell your personal individual information, since no one cares what your baby looks like with drool hanging out of its mouth, and no one cares about the stupid inside joke you have with your friend.

What is in Facebook's financial best interests is the same that is in Google's--not individual personal data but aggregate trends in people's interests and what they might buy.

I have no problem with this. If they have to serve ads on the side to make money, and the ads are about movies I might actually want to see or products I might actually want to buy (based on my interests), I'm all for that.

donkyhotay
January 11th, 2011, 08:21 PM

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5053/selection042.jpg

Which does no good if you're someone (like me) who doesn't have a facebook account but have friends/family who are less paranoid... err... I mean security aware.

CraigPaleo
January 11th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Which does no good if you're someone (like me) who doesn't have a facebook account but have friends/family who are less paranoid... err... I mean security aware.

I'm not too concerned about privacy.
I don't come up in searches unless you're a friend.
No one but a friend of a friend can send me friend requests and only my friends can message me.
I also have public search disabled so I don't show up on search engines. If you aren't my friend and I haven't given you my FB link, I don't exist.

The only info that Facebook has on me, aside from my habits and likes, is one of my Gmail addresses and my City and State. They have my real name but I'm unlisted in the phonebook.

This forum has my IP address and email. They have about the same amount of my personal info as Facebook.

Also see Aysiu's post above.

We never share your personal information with our advertisers. Facebook's ad targeting is done entirely anonymously. If advertisers select demographic targeting for their ads, Facebook automatically matches those ads to the appropriate audience. Advertisers only receive anonymous data reports.

coolbrook
August 1st, 2011, 02:59 AM
*Bump*

My time's up too.

Khakilang
August 1st, 2011, 04:51 AM
I bump into some long lost old friend in Facebook. I use it mainly to contact with old friends. But my mistake was playing game in Facebook. All of a sudden people from all over the world want to be your friend all because of the game. So most of the time I end up sending gift to this people.

IWantFroyo
August 1st, 2011, 04:55 AM
Facebook used to be good. Now its too bloated and full of vulnerabilities.

Example:

I "liked" one thingamabob my friend liked, and it started spamming my news feed. I unliked it, and it kept spamming my news feed. Then my friends got hacked and started spamming my news feed. Then I QUIT!!! No seriously, I deactivated my account. I'll either give up the whole social networking thing or go troll Google+ when it stops the "private beta" stuff.

Erik1984
August 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM
I bump into some long lost old friend in Facebook. I use it mainly to contact with old friends. But my mistake was playing game in Facebook. All of a sudden people from all over the world want to be your friend all because of the game. So most of the time I end up sending gift to this people.

You are not playing Farmville are you?

kostageas
September 22nd, 2011, 04:26 AM
Today I "deleted" my Facebook. It's actually deactivated for 14 days and then will be deleted. I had to go through and delete all my data personally, because I don't trust Facebook with it. Feels kind of good, actually. Now I just have to make it the 14 days without logging in, and by then I will have curbed my addiction. :guitar:

I refuse to do Google+ though, because Google already owns my first born. They aren't getting another scrap of information out of me.

Primefalcon
September 22nd, 2011, 04:54 AM
LOL all my facebook mail is automatically deleted

Pujims
September 22nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
I have a facebook so I can stalk...errr I mean keep up with my grown children. They never call and they don't write. what else can a Mom do?

whiskeylover
September 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
You don't like Facebook. We get it. Doesn't mean its lame. If you keep getting bombarded with app requests, they can be disabled easily. Just because you didn't take 5 minutes to explore its features does not mean it can't be done.

I find it hilarious that you guys think its okay to hang out with a bunch of complete strangers on a forum for an operating system, but its totally lame to social-network with your friends and family and people you know on Facebook.

Personally, I use it to keep in touch with friends and family who're thousands of miles away on a different continent. I've also found plenty of long lost friends on Facebook. You don't like people? Fine. But that does not mean social networking is lame.

whiskeylover
September 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Oh, and since last week, Facebook has stopped emailing you updates. You have to explicitly sign up for updates on the posts you're interested in tracking.

user1397
September 22nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
I disabled all email updates, blocked any app invites, reduced my information to a minimum, basically just used it to send messages, write on walls, post the occasional picture.

Even at this minimum setting, facebook was still too much for me, so I deleted my account.

I'm not saying facebook sucks and no one should use it, it's just not for me.

khelben1979
September 25th, 2011, 11:30 PM

Yes. I deactivated my Facebook account just a couple of days ago. The main reason is because it's too heavy for my computer and because of it, my whole system just reboots itself, well... that doesn't feel acceptable to me. Google+ gives me no problems and is the replacement for me.

IWantFroyo
September 25th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I just use email. It's simple, it's customizable, it doesn't throw ads or Farmville requests at me, and it supports GPG.
I bet FB can't beat that. ;)

sffvba[e0rt
September 25th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I am so social online I don't have time for friends...

IWantFroyo
September 25th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I am so social online I don't have time for friends...

:lolflag:

More or less the same here. The only time I really spend time with other people is during cooperative projects. And with my family.