PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help Getting The System to Load

Alyse
January 7th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Hello, let me start off by saying that I am not an experienced ubuntu user. My employer's husband however, works for ubuntu and he gave me a disc with the ubuntu operating system. My laptop has a virus, and he thought that installing ubuntu to replace windows XP might remove the virus and at least get my computer up and running again. So, I followed the installation instructions and it seemed to install without any problems, however, when I turn the computer on it only loads the ubuntu logo which has five red dots beneath it. A startup music sound plays and the curser appears, but that is it. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is anything I can do to fix it.

Thank you

tommcd
January 7th, 2011, 04:17 AM
What graphics card is in the computer?
Are you able to run Ubuntu ok from the live CD?
Assuming you can run the live CD ok, be sure to run the option to "Check CD for Defects". This will at least rule out a bad CD as the source of a botched install.

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

Alyse
January 9th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Thank you Tommcd for responding--My schedule has not enabled me to reply until now, but I want you to know that I do appreciate your help! I actually installed ubuntu on a total of three computers (all virused!) and it installed on two of the three without much trouble. For the laptop I was referring to, which would not completely load, I tried installing windows xp home edition and that is working alright (although, I think there is a virus STILL running in the background because it only has one or two percent available memory!) I do not know what kind of graphics card that computer uses, but I will likely attempt to install ubuntu on it again and see if it will run off the CD.

Thank you again :D

tommcd
January 12th, 2011, 07:16 AM
If you have installed XP on the problematic computer, just open the Device Manager and look under at the graphics driver. This should tell you what graphics card is in the computer and what driver it is using.

One way to avoid graphics problems is to install Ubuntu using the alternate install CD. This is a text based, install CD that does not need a graphical desktop to istall Ubuntu. You can get the alternate install CD here: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/alternative-download#alternate