PDA

View Full Version : Likely to Buy an HTC Desire

Majorix
January 6th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I have some money saved up, and now looking to get a new phone. Want an Android system.

I have checked a few models, and eliminated all options but two: HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S.

The specs seem to be quite similar, but for some reason Galaxy S is more expensive, and for yet another mysterious reason the shops are out of stocks on Galaxy S for a while.

As such, I am tending to buy the Desire. If I do so, will I miss out on anything important?

BigSilly
January 6th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I know nothing about mobile phones, but the missus got herself a HTC Desire before Christmas and it's a truly spectacular device. I can't believe what these small handsets are now capable of.

LowSky
January 6th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Personally I like HTC Sense UI. It gives Android a bit of polish.

Go out and actually try the phones before you buy them. I didn't like the Motorola Droid (aka Milestone), yet I loved the HTC Incredible.

But isn't the Desire a bit old (and the reason its cheaper). I not entirely sure of its internals, but beware the old Android phones, they might not be as upgradable later on.

Majorix
January 6th, 2011, 11:06 PM
But isn't the Desire a bit old (and the reason its cheaper). I not entirely sure of its internals, but beware the old Android phones, they might not be as upgradable later on.

Lol, HTC Desire has arrived here only a few weeks ago. Android Market also not available yet. I don't know what Google is trying to achieve here, but I shouldn't talk more about this. Don't want my thread get closed due to a discussion of politics.

akand074
January 6th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I own an HTC Desire. I love it. The Samsung Galaxy S is better in specs though. First off it has a 4" screen vs the HTC Desire's 3.7" Screen. Also Samsung's screen technology is better (Super AMOLED vs AMOLDED) basically it's smoother and more responsive though you'll unlikely have any problems with the HTC Desire for that either. Also Samsung's built in GPU makes gaming a lot better/more responsive on that phone than the Desire. Also the HTC Desire doesn't have much internal storage (though you have an SD card) while the Galaxy can have 8GB or 16GB internal memory.

If I were you, and it ships to your country, go for the best out right now, Google's Nexus S (http://www.google.com/nexus/#). It's pretty much an updated version of the Samsung Galaxy S (the Nexus S is made by Samsung). The benefits of the Nexus S over the Galaxy is:
- Awesome Contour Screen
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) installed by default.
- NFC Technology
- 3-Axis Gyroscope on top of the accelerometer

Everything else is pretty much the same.

unclefrancis
January 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Personally I like HTC Sense UI. It gives Android a bit of polish.

Go out and actually try the phones before you buy them. I didn't like the Motorola Droid (aka Milestone), yet I loved the HTC Incredible.

I've been using a g1 for almost 2 years now. It was the first phone on the market with android os and I'm currently running firmware 2.2 (froyo.) These phones are highly customizable, check out xda developers forum for custom boot loaders and roms. I'l most likely get a g2 when I upgrage with tmobile...I need the physical keyboard

Evil-Ernie
January 7th, 2011, 12:36 AM
The missus has the Desire. She said she would never get a smartphone before she had it, now they are inseperable! LOL

From the goes Ive had on it I would say its a bloody good piece of kit and if I had to have a smartphone that would be it.

Majorix
January 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I own an HTC Desire. I love it. The Samsung Galaxy S is better in specs though. First off it has a 4" screen vs the HTC Desire's 3.7" Screen. Also Samsung's screen technology is better (Super AMOLED vs AMOLDED) basically it's smoother and more responsive though you'll unlikely have any problems with the HTC Desire for that either. Also Samsung's built in GPU makes gaming a lot better/more responsive on that phone than the Desire. Also the HTC Desire doesn't have much internal storage (though you have an SD card) while the Galaxy can have 8GB or 16GB internal memory.

If I were you, and it ships to your country, go for the best out right now, Google's Nexus S (http://www.google.com/nexus/#). It's pretty much an updated version of the Samsung Galaxy S (the Nexus S is made by Samsung). The benefits of the Nexus S over the Galaxy is:
- Awesome Contour Screen
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) installed by default.
- NFC Technology
- 3-Axis Gyroscope on top of the accelerometer

Everything else is pretty much the same.
Thanks a lot for this really informative post!

I hadn't gone into that much detail, but from your post I get that the Galaxy S is a bit superior.

I don't think Nexus S ships here but if it does I will look into it.

Other than that, I put buying a new phone on hold for a while. Main reason is that I won't be able to access the Android Market here in Turkey, and from what I see, the prices here are double what they are in other countries. I will have to wait for now I guess.

Thanks everyone for the input anyways!

Majorix
January 7th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Oops, connection issue!

Majorix
January 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Oops, connection issue!

Majorix
January 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Oops, connection issue!

RiceMonster
January 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I have friends with both of those phones, and they're both very happy with them. I think you'll end up with a good phone regardless of which one you choose.

PuddingKnife
January 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I have a Galaxy S, its awesome.

But from what I've seen of the Desire, its also awesome. Cant really go wrong either way you go :)

Donalt2010
January 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Having the Desire myself for the last few months.. Its an awesome piece of kit. But as others have said whichever one you choose you will be happy with. Easy to root and flash different roms aswell if curiosity ever comes your way:)