PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Grub prompt after installing Windows 7

u-slayer
January 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM
So I just installed windows 7 to my comp and then tried of fix grub by booting from a live cd and running

grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

That command worked, but I was worried when I saw that I had no menu.lst or grub.cfg file in my /boot/grub.

Now I can't get past the grub prompt.

Here are my partitions

sda1 /boot
sda2 /
sda3 windows xp
sda4 windows 7

What do I type into this grub prompt?

wilee-nilee
January 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
So from a booted live Ubuntu cd or thumbdrive lets see the bootscript read out; in my signature just click on it and follow the instructions. Come back to the thread and click on the # in the reply panel this makes code tags paste all the text in between.

drs305
January 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM
So I just installed windows 7 to my comp and then tried of fix grub by booting from a live cd and running

grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

That command worked, but I was worried when I saw that I had no menu.lst or grub.cfg file in my /boot/grub.

Now I can't get past the grub prompt.

Here are my partitions

sda1 /boot
sda2 /
sda3 windows xp
sda4 windows 7

What do I type into this grub prompt?

Did you mount both your /boot and / partitions first:

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

If this doesn't fix it, please run the boot info script and post the contents of RESULTS.txt
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net

u-slayer
January 6th, 2011, 09:50 PM
thansk drs305, that fixed it.

bandoba
April 2nd, 2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks drs305. Your reply helped me too. In my case / and /boot was on the same partition. For that type of configuration, the the point to remember is root-directory parameter for grub-install should point to the mounted / and not to /boot/grub folder on mounted partition. HTH.