PDA

View Full Version : how to get jobs in datacentres

jamesbon
January 6th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I want to know (I never worked any where) the people who work in data centres (which I have only heard) what exactly are the things they do in their life?What certification makes sure that they are handling servers ,SANs etc etc.Is there a one single program that makes you an expert and you can work in a big organizations data centre?

juancarlospaco
January 6th, 2011, 09:26 PM
the people who work in data centres, what exactly are the things they do in their life?
Life != Work

What certification makes sure that they are handling servers ,SANs etc etc.

Not Mandatory, but skills and experience.
If you can pay it (here you cant), i think LPI+, CCNA, are the basics.

Here you need English skills too, mandatory (maybe there you need Spanish?, Portuguese?)
Here, any Certification cost too much, you need to multiply the price X 4, you cant pay sometimes.

Is there a one single program that makes you an expert and you can work in a big organizations data centre?

No.
You need Experience, on small-medium sized organizations on first place, see:

Trainee = Just hired, no skills
Semi-Junior = 1 year or less
Junior = 3 years
Semi-Senior = 4 years
Senior = more than 5 years

The time is on the same job, as Admin.

koenn
January 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Is there a one single program that makes you an expert ...

Even without any real data center experience, I can tell you that there's no such thing.
The fact that you think that there might be such a program, shows you're not ready for that sort of job.

Go to school. Read books. Run a server in your basement. Read some more.

LowSky
January 6th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Getitng a degree in computer science is a great step in the right direction.

Getitng certified in applications that are used on servers helps too.

Most of the guys I know who work on servers started off doing basic computer support and worked their way up. I will also say datacenter work is often boring and you will mostly do things like backups and transfers and monitoring, lots of monitoring.

If you want to have more social interation then you are better off going into programming. At least there you will have people to communicate with not just machines.

Spr0k3t
January 7th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Tell people that MacOSX is a more stable server than anything Linux based...

I kid I kid...

Know your networking and be able to prove it at the drop of a hat.