PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] startup services control in XFCE

elmosim2
January 6th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'm running antiX, I know it isn't ubuntu but it's technically ubuntu based right? Anyway, I'm trying to run just gnome-panel under the xfce environment. I have gnome-panel installed (I can open it from a terminal). But, I can't seem to figure out how to get it to open at startup. There's a nifty "Choose Startup Services" option in the antiX Control Center but it only lets me manage services that it already has in a list.

I would just flat out run gnome but I'm trying to keep things light. Any ideas?

Simian Man
January 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Why would you run gnome-panel over the Xfce panel? Xfce can use gnome-panel applets with xfapplet and gnome-panel is much buggier than the Xfce panel.

elmosim2
January 6th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I need to lock it down to users can't edit anything at all. The XFCE kiosk mode documentation is really old and doesn't seem to apply anymore. The gnome-panel is easily locked down with pessulus.

sisco311
January 7th, 2011, 12:28 AM
It works for me. I'm using Xfce 4.6.2.

You have to create and edit the file /etc/xdg/xfce4/kiosk/kioskrc or if you are using Xubuntu /etc/xdg/xubuntu/kiosk/kioskrc and add something like:

[xfce4-panel]
CustomizePanel=%panelgroup,user1,user2

This will allow only the group panelgroup and the users user1 and user2 to customize their panels.

EDIT:
See http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/kiosk_mode

elmosim2
January 11th, 2011, 05:23 PM
My mistake, I must have been looking at the wrong documentation or something. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.