PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to add 'detect new hardware' to startup

mystmaiden
January 6th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I've accidentally removed the 'detect new hardware' from startup in Karmic. How do I replace it? If I don't will the system recognize new keyboards, etc. and my video card? I can't use the newest nvidia proprietary drivers, so I would not need it for that.

thanks

mystmaiden

edited to add - so far google hasn't helped much. I did try to reinstall my video card, and have been unsuccessful, so I'm thinking I definitely need to restore that file. I have the live cd if I can pull a file off there, I just do not know what file to copy.

CaptainMark
January 7th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Do you mean you erased it from the Startup Applications menu in preferences, if you did then just click add and use the following ive copied from my menu.

Name:
Check for new hardware drivers

Command:
sh -c 'test -e /var/cache/jockey/check || exec jockey-gtk --check'

Comment:
Notify about new hardware drivers available for the system

If ive mistaken your meaning sorry perhaps someone might have the answer you need
EDIT: This is for Lucid not Karmic, im assuming its the same but you could always load up a Karmic Live CD and check the menu there, I have one somewhere if you dont.

mystmaiden
January 7th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Thank you, CaptainMark.

I believe that's exactly what I needed. I also need to know how to use a .run file from the terminal. A search only turned up one reference to that and it was such an old post, I'm not at all sure it would apply now.

thanks all,

mystmaiden

CaptainMark
January 7th, 2011, 07:29 PM
You should really start a new thread to ask a different question, just to help people who have a similar question,

you cd to the directory the file is in and type
./file_name.run
if that doesnt work you need to make executable first by using
sudo chmod +x file_name.run

mystmaiden
January 9th, 2011, 11:22 PM
You're right, CaptainMark, thanks for the heads up on starting a new thread.

And thanks for the .run command!