PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on 11.04 Alpha?

DirtyPC
January 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Had a go on it, i'm still at war with unity, i really don't like it. Does anyone actually like unity ? Grateful for your opinions :D

NightwishFan
January 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
By the Hammer Of Thor why are we still debating this? There are Unity discussions in the Natty thread, and a real discussion like this that would belong in the Cafe should wait until Natty is released :/

DirtyPC
January 6th, 2011, 07:52 PM
sorry i've been off this forum for like 3 months, and mega C.B.A for looking at others threads :D

So... ummm.....
'Lovely weather we're having? ' :D

cgroza
January 6th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Unity is find for me, I don't know why people are makeing all this fuss. People are afraid of change, thats it.

NightwishFan
January 6th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Just for the record, I was not attacking you or any mixed opinions on Unity. Just merely that there is absolutely nothing new to be covered about Unity compared to previous (and quite full of drama) threads. In my humble opinion of course. Feel free to discuss.

DirtyPC
January 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Its not meant to be dramatic, jeez lighten up everyone! I havn't been on here for months, and what better than to start a thread on which it will get a discussion going? :D

philinux
January 6th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Had a go on it, i'm still at war with unity, i really don't like it. Does anyone actually like unity ? Grateful for your opinions :D

See here.
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=394

uRock
January 6th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Unity is getting better and will continue to do so, at least that is what I have been reading.

NightwishFan
January 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Its not meant to be dramatic, jeez lighten up everyone! I havn't been on here for months, and what better than to start a thread on which it will get a discussion going? :D

You misunderstand me. I personally have no problem with the discussion other than the inevitable 50/50 tug of war between the Unity supporters and detractors, and then the odd snipes about how Ubuntu is finished and they are switching to Arch or Mint.

DirtyPC
January 6th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Fair enough, what does it bring besides unity? And if its really bad enough i'll just stick with 10.10 haha. Arch or mint didn't feel as polished as ubuntu is, like if they all cost money, i wouldnt mind paying for ubuntu, one of the best OS's around. Is there a choice to rid of unity, as this release has fixed my disappearing wifi connection problem :D

ElSlunko
January 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Giving it my first real try this week. It's not as bad as the first time it lived for 5 minutes on ubuntu install. The animations are really nice except clicking the Ubuntu icon and trying to get to an app takes away longer than my preferred method (gnome-do or synapse). Of course this is remedied by actually using the launcher as a launcher.

Again visually there's something very sleek about Unity that attracts me to it. The animations and menus look really nice. At least I think so. It's not the typical soft gradient approach that people soil themselves over but it's attractive. Just wish they could make the rest of their gtk theme as impressive.

Usability wise, eh, there's not much you can do to make vast improvements as far as my work-flow goes. However, I will say that I've had a much easier time dealing with FF maximised and switching to another workspace to view documents, etc. I've never really used workspaces before but now they feel pretty natural.

This is on my laptop, haven't felt the squeeze of having the dock to the left probably because of the screen ratio (which I'm sure many if not all laptops are being built this way).

Can you bind a button to pop unity up whenever you have an application in fullscreen? Sometimes I need quick access to my indicators and I have to take my app out of FS.

Needs polish and a few shortcuts for us users who prefer to keep both hands on the keyboard.

KaYnemO
January 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Unity is getting better and will continue to do so, at least that is what I have been reading.

Point well taken, also, I think, that no one actually denies us the right to stay with gnome or KDE if we want to, right ?

NightwishFan
January 6th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Gnome 2 will be available (in the default install even), and the other distros like Kubuntu just as they are now.