PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GTK vs. KDE

Opposes
January 6th, 2011, 05:14 PM
So I'm fairly new to Linux, and I just replaced my Mac OS X with Ubuntu 10.10. I know some pretty basic things about Linux, and some things are cloudy.

Basically I download a distro of Linux that gave me an option between KDE and GTK before, I'm not sure which distro.

After I fully installed Ubuntu last night, I started looking for must own add-ons like Wine, and the new desktop ui eyecandy. I eventually came to a YouTube video where the "guru" apparently was using Spore with Crossover. What attraced my attention most was his UI. He was able to change the window borders, icons, and it looked like he was using GTK. But to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what's the difference between GTK and KDE really is. Now I'm automically assuming Ubuntu is using GNOME and that it turn is GTK? On a different distro though I remember clicking on some kind of application that changed the UI a slightly and GTK symbols were in place of the regular icons. Is this the case with Ubuntu?

Basically I would like to cusomtize my desktop ui so i can do whatever I want.

Like I said I'm fairly new, so if this doesn't make since or what not, I can try and clearifiy.

cgroza
January 7th, 2011, 12:39 AM
The main difference is the interface. KDE emulates the Windows style a little bit. KDE is written in Qt wich makes it look good with Qt apps and GTK apps just don't fit in many times and vice versa. Finally, this is a matter of taste. Try them both and pick the one you like. You can have them both installed. On ubuntu all you have to do is:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

sandyd
January 7th, 2011, 02:39 AM
So I'm fairly new to Linux, and I just replaced my Mac OS X with Ubuntu 10.10. I know some pretty basic things about Linux, and some things are cloudy.

Basically I download a distro of Linux that gave me an option between KDE and GTK before, I'm not sure which distro.

After I fully installed Ubuntu last night, I started looking for must own add-ons like Wine, and the new desktop ui eyecandy. I eventually came to a YouTube video where the "guru" apparently was using Spore with Crossover. What attraced my attention most was his UI. He was able to change the window borders, icons, and it looked like he was using GTK. But to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what's the difference between GTK and KDE really is. Now I'm automically assuming Ubuntu is using GNOME and that it turn is GTK? On a different distro though I remember clicking on some kind of application that changed the UI a slightly and GTK symbols were in place of the regular icons. Is this the case with Ubuntu?

Basically I would like to cusomtize my desktop ui so i can do whatever I want.

Like I said I'm fairly new, so if this doesn't make since or what not, I can try and clearifiy.
links?

perspectoff
January 7th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Both are highly customizable,but KDE a little moreso.

Although KDE accomodates QT, it is not a Qt based system.Qt is universal and used on more mobile devices these days (Nokia is a huge proponent) so KDE is currently poised to be more universal. Gnome has always been a utilitarian workhorse, though, if a bit staid and clunky IMO.

You don't lose choosing either one, though.

I have both on my computer; I use KDE 99%.

PPPilot
January 7th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I'm dual booting both 10.04 and 10.10 and both have both KDE and GTK desktops installed. I find that I use GTK most of the time. It just seems more intuitive. I concur, install them both and see which one you like. I've found that all the KDE apps work fine in GTK and vis-versa. In fact I find myself using a lot of KDE apps in GTK since I am in GTK most of the time.
I've got my GTK desktop pretty heavily customized and I don't find the customization options constraining. I have found you can get carried away with eye candy in KDE. That may be why I like GTK. It kind of saves me from myself. Have fun....

judedawson
January 7th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Hi Opposes,

Please check out the below link for a good overview on the differences between Gnome and KDE:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

Cheers.

From,
Jude

wep940
January 7th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I don't know about a "GTK desktop". I know gnome versus kde, but gnome is not GTK. GTK stands for "Gimp Tool Kit" and is a programming tool for creating GUI'd interfaces. I have GTK apps that the exact same source compiles and runs exactly the same in gnome, kde and Windows. No difference, no visual differences.

Opposes
January 8th, 2011, 01:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3XM5Q-G8Pw

Opposes
January 8th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Thanks, yeah I'm thinking that's what I need!

sandyd
January 9th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks, yeah I'm thinking that's what I need!
the desktop hes using is KDE.
The so called "gtk theme" your seeing isnt a gtk theme, it is how apps look like by default in wine