PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help with launcher

kyral210
January 6th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I need to set up a desktop launcher to run a script in terminal automatically (as opposed to double click on script - run in terminal).

Someone mentioned right clicking the desktop and selecting Create Launcher. All well and good, but how do I them make it run my script in the terminal automatically?

An Sanct
March 21st, 2011, 10:56 AM
Right click on the desktop, select "Create Launcher", in the dropdown, select "Application in terminal" then select the script in the "Command:" input

the name and descriptions are up to you.

Krytarik
March 21st, 2011, 06:21 PM
Right click on the desktop, select "Create Launcher", in the dropdown, select "Application in terminal" then select the script in the "Command:" input

the name and descriptions are up to you.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug currently regarding those option.

So you may have to leave "Application" chosen and set the "Command" like this:

gnome-terminal -x sh -c "terminal_command"Greetings.

An Sanct
March 21st, 2011, 07:34 PM
Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug currently regarding those option.

So you may have to leave "Application" chosen and set the "Command" like this:

gnome-terminal -x sh -c "terminal_command"Greetings.

Bug? Can you elaborate a little bit more on this?

Krytarik
March 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM
Bug? Can you elaborate a little bit more on this?
Ah, forget about that! Upon trying to reproduce the previously experienced behaviour, I noticed that it was before I learned that you can't run some commands through a launcher like you do at the shell. When enclosing them like this

sh -c "command1; command2"
they run as well. At least I guess it was that, but I'm not sure. Anyway, at least as of now it seems to be all well.

kyral210
July 23rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
As it turns out double clicking the .sh file and cicking run isn't much easier than a desktop launcher, so problem solved.