PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble constructing xorg.conf file

who-bear
January 6th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I'm very new to Ubuntu (and Linux). I'm using a 13" Acer TimelineX and Ubuntu 10.10 with an external monitor. Since my system will only detect lower resolutions than I want, I am running: $ xrandr --addmode VGA1 1366x768 upon start-up.

I would like to use the xorg.conf file as a better fix (ie. not load in one resolution and then switch to another). I found this website helpful: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions but I am still lost when it comes to constructing the file itself.

Thank you all very much in advance!

Krytarik
January 7th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Since I recently didn't get Xorg to set the desired display mode by configuring the xorg.conf according that guide, I recommend setting it via the kdm/gdm startup scripts, also described in that guide, it worked for me. IMO it doesn't make a real difference vs. the xorg.conf-way.

Setting xrandr commands in kdm/gdm startup scripts

Both KDM and GDM have startup scripts that are executed when X is initiated. For GDM, these are in /etc/gdm/ , while for KDM this is done at /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup. In either case, you can paste in an xrandr command line string into one of these scripts. For GDM, try putting them right before initctl -q emit login-session-start DISPLAY_MANAGER=gdm in /etc/gdm/Init/Default
This process requires root access and mucking around in system config files, but will take effect earlier in the startup process than using .xprofile, and will apply to all users including the login screen.

who-bear
January 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I added the line I'd been using on start-up("$ xrandr --addmode VGA1 1366x768") to /etc/gdm/Init/Default after the line "/sbin/initctl -q emit login-session-start DISPLAY_MANAGER=gdm" but I still had the same problem when rebooting. It loaded into the wrong resolution initially and then resized after login and loading everything (probably due to the start-up command).

Krytarik
January 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I added the line I'd been using on start-up("$ xrandr --addmode VGA1 1366x768") to /etc/gdm/Init/Default after the line "/sbin/initctl -q emit login-session-start DISPLAY_MANAGER=gdm" but I still had the same problem when rebooting. It loaded into the wrong resolution initially and then resized after login and loading everything (probably due to the start-up command).
You also have to *set* it, like this:

xrandr --addmode VGA1 1366x768
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1366x768You should test it from a terminal before, if this works, then the automatic way will also work, and it will not set the display to another mode before.

who-bear
January 10th, 2011, 02:40 PM
That worked perfectly. Thanks a million!