PDA

View Full Version : VM recommendations please

treesurf
January 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM
It looks like I may need to give in and run some Windows applications for work (already checked, won't run in wine), and rather than dual booting I've become curious about running Windows7 in a VM. My brief research has turned up VMware Player and Virtualbox as the two main options to do this. I'm hoping to get a recommendation as to which one is easier and more reliable to use, along with any other suggestions you great folks on the forum here might have.

TNT1
January 6th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I've always used XP in virtualbox, and recently added a win7 vmware player. I am totally sold on VMwareplayer now. Just seems to be a better interface. (oh, and win7 beats the **** out of XP:p)

I also used qemu and kvm in Fedora, and they work great, but not, I think, so good for a desktop user.

Spice Weasel
January 6th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I recommend using "Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs) in a VM because it is much faster (but legit copies are fairly rare). Virtualbox works great in my experience and I have never had a reason to use anything else.

TNT1
January 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I recommend using "Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs) in a VM because it is much faster (but legit copies are fairly rare). Virtualbox works great in my experience and I have never had a reason to use anything else.

How different is that to tinyxp?

Spice Weasel
January 6th, 2011, 12:36 PM
How different is that to tinyxp?

For one, it's legal with automatic updates and support.

wgarider
January 7th, 2011, 01:44 AM
It looks like I may need to give in and run some Windows applications for work (already checked, won't run in wine), and rather than dual booting I've become curious about running Windows7 in a VM. My brief research has turned up VMware Player and Virtualbox as the two main options to do this. I'm hoping to get a recommendation as to which one is easier and more reliable to use, along with any other suggestions you great folks on the forum here might have.

I use Virtualbox to run Win7, XP, Ubuntu and CentOS at work....simple, easy and quick to setup......

KdotJ
January 7th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I used to use VMware when I used Windows, but since my switch to Linux in 2009 I decided to have a go at Virtualbox. I must say it is great, and I've never had any issues with it and has done everything I need from a VM. It runs Windows7 just fine

GabrielYYZ
January 7th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Virtualbox here too, i use it for windows XP. i don't use it a lot, but it's great for those times when i see a messenger pop up saying "hey, can you help me with X? i'm using XP"

it's easy to setup and works pretty good.

The Real Dave
January 7th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I love Virtualbox, and how versatile it is. For instance, I'm currently using it to install Windows 2000 onto a CF card on a powerful machine, which will be replaced to a much less powerful computer.

Windows 7 has behaved perfectly for me in VB :)

CharlesA
January 7th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I've used VirtualBox and VMware. Either work fine.

treesurf
January 7th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's much appreciated.

BigCityCat
January 7th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I have never used anything other than virtualbox. I like it alot and I use win7, but I have a dual core processors and I am getting very high cpu spikes. I have googled it. I have seen no real solutions and I see that it is an issue for a lot of people a cross platforms. I have used sevral versions including the latest. All have the same problem.

perspectoff
January 7th, 2011, 03:29 AM
VMWare is a bit more powerful, but with a complexity price. For real power users with niche needs, it does more.

But Virtualbox is elegant, simple, nice, and useful for 95% of needs. It's better for beginners.