PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

Costas
April 25th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Hi everybody, just want to mention something that happened to me 3 weeks ago.

The main reason for me switching to linux was that i wanted to use a program tha was only running on linux (the program is called Magpack and it's used to fit/simulate some experimental magnetic data...no need to mention more, if someone wants, really there's no problem).

A friend of mine helped me (or should i say he) installed Suse on my pc...so my really fantastic experience on linux begun. Soon i realized that in order for the program to run i had to install Lapack (Linear Algebra Libraries) and while i was installing lapack, i got a message saying (if i remember very well) that my gcc was vey new for lapack to use and that i had to downgrade to gcc2.96 or gcc2.95 (i think i had something like gcc4.smth at the time). So, i downgraded to gcc2.95 and as soon as i finished (needless to say that it took me a while since i was only a new fish in linux) my pc.....simply crashed completely! I could even shut down the pc and i had to use the power button. When i restarted the pc, i typed the username and password but AGAIN nothing! Everything was completly stuck! I couldn't even use the Safe mode version of Suse to log in! Thank God another friend was around and he said that he had never seen that before (linux system crashing) .He tried to recover the system but without any luck and finally we formatted everything and then he suggested me to use Ubuntu and now everything works absolutely fine! His thought was that downgrading to an older version of gcc caused some vital programs to stop working and that;s why the whole system collapsed....but he told me that in his 9 years of linux experience he had never seen smth like this before. My question is: it this ever possible to happen in Ubuntu? has anyone heard of a similar case?

thanx a lot and sorry for the long message!

unbuntu
April 25th, 2006, 09:09 PM
If you only use packages (i.e. precompiled, so you don't have to worry about gcc), then that's not likely going to happen.

But I guess compiling from scratch is the same in Ubuntu 'cuz it's just another Linux distro, not a silver bullet.

In your case, I think you'd better off finding a package for that. Everytime ./configure tells me to use another version of gcc I'm always off to find a package for my platform. If not then forget it, I'm not gonna downgrade anything.

Costas
April 25th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Thanx unbuntu! Since i installed Ubuntu everything works absolutely perfect (and the program as well)...and i feel more than happy and lucky having switched to linux!

arbing
May 9th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Hi everybody, just want to mention something that happened to me 3 weeks ago.

The main reason for me switching to linux was that i wanted to use a program tha was only running on linux (the program is called Magpack and it's used to fit/simulate some experimental magnetic data...no need to mention more, if someone wants, really there's no problem).

A friend of mine helped me (or should i say he) installed Suse on my pc...so my really fantastic experience on linux begun. Soon i realized that in order for the program to run i had to install Lapack (Linear Algebra Libraries) and while i was installing lapack, i got a message saying (if i remember very well) that my gcc was vey new for lapack to use and that i had to downgrade to gcc2.96 or gcc2.95 (i think i had something like gcc4.smth at the time). So, i downgraded to gcc2.95 and as soon as i finished (needless to say that it took me a while since i was only a new fish in linux) my pc.....simply crashed completely! I could even shut down the pc and i had to use the power button. When i restarted the pc, i typed the username and password but AGAIN nothing! Everything was completly stuck! I couldn't even use the Safe mode version of Suse to log in! Thank God another friend was around and he said that he had never seen that before (linux system crashing) .He tried to recover the system but without any luck and finally we formatted everything and then he suggested me to use Ubuntu and now everything works absolutely fine! His thought was that downgrading to an older version of gcc caused some vital programs to stop working and that;s why the whole system collapsed....but he told me that in his 9 years of linux experience he had never seen smth like this before. My question is: it this ever possible to happen in Ubuntu? has anyone heard of a similar case?

thanx a lot and sorry for the long message!
I am very interested in the program package---Magpack! Could you please send me a copy of the program package?Thank you!
my e-mail:asdfj1970@yahoo.com.cn

karellen
May 9th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Thanx unbuntu! Since i installed Ubuntu everything works absolutely perfect (and the program as well)...and i feel more than happy and lucky having switched to linux!

you're welcome :)
I know there are a lot of great scientific programs for linux