PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an mp3 player that will 100% surely work with Ubuntu.

ęželing
April 25th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I'm buying a new mp3 player after I broke the old one (some ols Sony model, with 256mb flash memory). I'm looking for anywhere between 3 and 5 gb of storage capacity, brand doesn't matter as long as it works under Ubuntu. I've searched some of the vendors' websites, bot none say anything about Linux support at all. So, if any of you has an mp3 player that works with Ubuntu or knows about one, please post here.

gingermark
April 25th, 2006, 08:43 PM
COWON's iAudio (http://eng.iaudio.com/) range are the only ones I can think of that officially support Linux.

I have a Samsung Yepp YP-MT6, and I can tell you that works. I think the main thing is to make sure you don't buy a player that uses that Microsoft only file transfer protocol though (I've forgotten the name, but I know some iRivers use it).

jpkotta
April 25th, 2006, 08:43 PM
http://eng.iaudio.com/

I have an M5. Their DAPs look just like a USB drive with a FAT32 partition. In otherwords, they work with everything.

prizrak
April 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Any mp3 player that can be run as a UMS (universal mass storage) device will work in Linux as it will just show up as a removable drive.

ęželing
April 25th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Any mp3 player that can be run as a UMS (universal mass storage) device will work in Linux as it will just show up as a removable drive.

So that means pretty much anything will work, but I'll have to manually upload the music files on it?

Just in case anyone knows, is the iPod nano supported? I was planning on getting that one.

dosed150
April 25th, 2006, 09:33 PM
the ipod nano should work with a program called gtkpod

ęželing
April 25th, 2006, 09:39 PM
the ipod nano should work with a program called gtkpod

Great...I'm getting a Nano then, wish me luck, hope I'm not wasting £175 for this;)

dosed150
April 25th, 2006, 10:08 PM
u can get gtkpod by going to add apllications its in sound and video or you can get it from the website which will probably be a newer version http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html

John.Michael.Kane
April 25th, 2006, 10:19 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=ogg&Submit=ENE&Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

j2pphillips
December 23rd, 2007, 06:22 AM
Will a Coby MP3 Player work with Ubuntu? My wife bought it for me as a early Christmas present( a tradition for us)

NullHead
December 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM
I have a Creative Zen V and it works like a charm with libmtp and gnomad2.

wolfen69
December 23rd, 2007, 06:31 AM
get a PSP. it is the best 200$ ive ever spent. sure, it's not exactly a slim micro design, but the damn thing does so much. ive installed the KDE flash portal on mine. stay away from the new special edition units. they feel cheap and flimsy.

~LoKe
December 23rd, 2007, 06:55 AM
I've got an MPIO something or other, and it works just fine. It's drag and drop.

Presto123
December 23rd, 2007, 07:18 AM
I got one that works fine...it's a cheapo too. Only 20 bucks for 1 gig onboard. Not bad really. Its an ILO.

kd7swh
December 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
I have a COWON's iAudio D2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=COWON+D2&x=0&y=0

I love it!

TenPlus1
December 23rd, 2007, 07:55 AM
The Samsung Yepp (YP models) work perfectly with Ubuntu, giving you simple drag & drop to load your music on the 1gb, 2gb and 4gb models available... It plays MP3 and OGG Vorbis (64kbps+) and has a very good battery life...

macogw
December 23rd, 2007, 07:56 AM
the main thing is to make sure you don't buy a player that uses that Microsoft only file transfer protocol though (I've forgotten the name, but I know some iRivers use it).

As of the beginning of 2007, not true anymore. MTP is well-supported by Gnomad2, Amarok, Rhythmbox, Banshee, etc.

Polygon
December 23rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Cowon iaudio x5L works perfectly with ubuntu. Plays mp3, ogg, wav.

macogw
December 24th, 2007, 04:32 AM
I'm getting an iAUDIO 7 for Atheist Children Get Gifts Day. Yay! :D

Wiebelhaus
December 24th, 2007, 04:36 AM
My family of five all have different versions of the Sandisk Sansa and they all work perfectly , My daughter has Ipod Nano 2g as well , that works with rythmbox without issue , I'd suggest getting the Sansa as we have never had any issues with them , but the Ipod it seems I'm always having to Update firmware or reboot it completely but as far as Ubuntu's compatibility with the Ipod there's no issues.

Palmyra
December 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Whatever you do, don't just go out there and buy something. Do your homework.

new2*buntu
December 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Will a Coby MP3 Player work with Ubuntu? My wife bought it for me as a early Christmas present( a tradition for us)

I have a Coby MP3 (I think it is C885) player and it works fine. Basically it is a flash drive with MP3 and WMA playback.

funrider
December 24th, 2007, 08:34 PM
get a file system based mp3 player (those you can simply drag your file in and out to the memory).

also, all version of ipod should work fine since there are great user base.

2ndFloorStuff
December 26th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I just got a Coby MP-7095 2 gig player, and I have gutsy installed on my Toshiba satellite A215, dual core 64-bit laptop with a Vista dual boot system , I am just trying out the Coby gadget today, and I can say that gutsy didn't recognize the device where as Vista worked fine. I am going to install the Kubuntu desktop with all the multi-media tools I can find, and see if that will help. This is my first Ubuntu forum participation. I will stay on top of this thread.

absolut1983
December 28th, 2007, 01:29 AM
The A818 Sony Walkman works flawlessly and it's even recognized by gPodder as a device able to sync with it.

I got mine for 149 quid and couldn't be happier with it.

gn2
December 28th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Great...I'm getting a Nano then, wish me luck, hope I'm not wasting £175 for this;)

You definitely are wasting cash there, get along to Asda and look at some of the alternatives on display for a fraction of the price.

AndyCooll
December 28th, 2007, 03:55 AM
I recently bought a Cowon iAudio7 with 16gb memory. And it's great! As far as I'm aware Cowon's are the only audio players that are officially designed with Linux compatability in mind (others may work with Linux, but don't mention Linux compatibility). This means for instance that it plays ogg and flac files.

:cool:

Palmyra
December 28th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I recently bought a Cowon iAudio7 with 16gb memory. And it's great! As far as I'm aware Cowon's are the only audio players that are officially designed with Linux compatability in mind (others may work with Linux, but don't mention Linux compatibility). This means for instance that it plays ogg and flac files.

:cool:

Sweet! OGG support is very important for me.

Amstell
December 29th, 2007, 02:04 AM
archos works with linux. Hell its a linux O/S

www.everythingarchos.com

I use mine all the time with ubuntu.

Cheers

terry_gardener
December 29th, 2007, 01:13 PM
iriver clix2 works well with linux ubuntu, i use it in mass storage device mode so all i have to do is copy and paste the music over.

it is available www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

hari_home
December 31st, 2007, 11:14 PM
I connected Creative Labs Nomad and Creative Labs Zen Vision to Gutsy and the sync worked just fine. GNOMAD2 was the software I used.

tbrminsanity
April 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
My MPIO 1/2GB MP3 player just broke (still plays but I need to duct tape the battery closed :( ). I want to replace it with a player that has the following:

Mandatory:
Plays MP3, Ogg, Wav
Built in FM radio
Battery life greater then 1 hour
Must be able to load songs with Ubuntu

Optional:
Battery life of 8hrs OR can run when plugged in
Pocket sized (I take my MP3 player on walks)
Visually pleasing (I don't want another Pink MP3 player :-& )
Flash based w/ USB interface (to make it easy to load songs)

Any suggestions?

jken146
April 21st, 2008, 05:53 PM
I have a COWON's iAudio D2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=COWON+D2&x=0&y=0

I love it!

Me too. Very good battery life on that thing. Has an SD card slot too, which makes it good as a card reader, photo viewer...

Fedz
April 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM
I connected Creative Labs Nomad and Creative Labs Zen Vision to Gutsy and the sync worked just fine. GNOMAD2 was the software I used.
Exactly same as us with a creative Zen mp3 player - never had a problem tbh :)

Lord DarkPat
April 21st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Nokia N81 8GB, bloody cheap right now, 360$
Phone, CAM, Music, etc. I love it!! It can be used as a USB mass storage device, and can also be used in rythembox in media player mode ( I think)

Sunflower1970
April 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM
I have the iAudio6 by Cowon and love it. Had it for about a year now.

tbrminsanity
April 21st, 2008, 06:58 PM
I have the iAudio6 by Cowon and love it. Had it for about a year now.

What is the battery life like for the iAudio? Are they internal batteries or some other type (AA, AAA, etc)? Is there an external power mode for the iAudio so you don't have to run on batteries? Does it have FM radio? Can you load songs onto the iAudo like a flash disk (drag and drop)?

aysiu
April 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM
What is the battery life like for the iAudio? Are they internal batteries or some other type (AA, AAA, etc)? Is there an external power mode for the iAudio so you don't have to run on batteries? Does it have FM radio? Can you load songs onto the iAudo like a flash disk (drag and drop)?
The battery life for the iAudio 7 is phenomenal (almost 60 hours), but it's otherwise a piece of crap. (http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2008/03/13/goodbye-cowon-hello-again-sandisk/) And, yes, it does have FM radio and drag and drop.

tbrminsanity
April 21st, 2008, 07:13 PM
The battery life for the iAudio 7 is phenomenal (almost 60 hours), but it's otherwise a piece of crap. (http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2008/03/13/goodbye-cowon-hello-again-sandisk/) And, yes, it does have FM radio and drag and drop.

Is it common for this MP3 to have this LCD defect? Last thing I need is another broken MP3 player.

aysiu
April 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Is it common for this MP3 to have this LCD defect? Last thing I need is another broken MP3 player.
Not common at all, as far as I can tell (I may be the only one who's encountered this problem). Nevertheless, I thought it was kind of ridiculous for them to put me at fault and then charge half the price of the unit to get the screen replaced.

Even when it was not broken, though, the sensitivity of the navigation really made the player difficult to use.

If your luck is better than mine, and you rarely skip songs, you may enjoy the player.

lswest
April 21st, 2008, 07:16 PM
well, i have a Sandisk Sansa e260, it has over 20 hours of battery life, in the US and Canada it comes with FM radio, plays WAV and MP3 (not OGG), plays videos too, and stores photos. Uploading music on it works fine from Ubuntu, however movies and photos require a windows program to run (since it converts the size and format) (but you can easily run it from a VM), but i hardly use movies or photos on my mp3 player. Just my $0.02

tbrminsanity
April 21st, 2008, 07:18 PM
Not common at all, as far as I can tell (I may be the only one who's encountered this problem). Nevertheless, I thought it was kind of ridiculous for them to put me at fault and then charge half the price of the unit to get the screen replaced.

Even when it was not broken, though, the sensitivity of the navigation really made the player difficult to use.

If your luck is better than mine, and you rarely skip songs, you may enjoy the player.

That is true. I will investigate it some more.

jabeez
April 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM
I have a Cowon D2 as well. I love it, pretty sweet piece of hardware with support for open formats, sick battery life (50 hrs advertised), and SD slot for loads of memory potential. Highly recommend...........

tbrminsanity
April 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM
I have a Cowon D2 as well. I love it, pretty sweet piece of hardware with support for open formats, sick battery life (50 hrs advertised), and SD slot for loads of memory potential. Highly recommend...........

Cowon does bill themselves as being one of the only Linux supported audio players. Where is a good place to buy their products?

aysiu
April 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Cowon does bill themselves as being one of the only Linux supported audio players. Where is a good place to buy their products?
Even though I bought mine on Amazon, I would recommend NewEgg.

jabeez
April 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM

I got mine through Amazon and it was fine. Also saw Newegg carries them but I got a better price on Amazon. You won't find them at any brick-and-mortar store (at least in US), but do some Googling and you'll know what you're getting.............

chudder
May 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I use my treo 680 with an SD card. I just put the mp3 on the SD card and put in it in the treo and voila!

sixdrift
May 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Since I am incredibily cheap, I have a rather modest MP3 player, the Sansa c240. It has 1 GB internal and I put in a half-gig micro SD card. Sansa web site claims it needs WinXP, but I have been loading and unloading it with music from my Ubuntu box every week for months now. It works just mounting drives, with RhythmBox, and with Amarok.

Its not the greatest player in the world, but it suffices.

brundlelinux
May 8th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Sorry, but I didn't feel like clicking through 5 pages of links with no info provided.

Here's a link to an MP3 player that is actually using Linux as it's engine and works perfectly with linux because it was designed for it specifically.

http://www.trekstor.de/en/products/detail_mp3.php?pid=66&page=1

Hope that solves the problem for people who come across this thread in the future as I assume you've purchased a new portable player already.

chrislovessushi
May 8th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Not that all of these suggestions arent wonderful but I completely love my ipod touch in ubuntu! Docking via amarok is easy as pie.

jwp1
June 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I have really been at a loss to find a real quality mp3 player that runs rockbox native. I use a very old Iriver H10 with lastest rockbox on it I am always looking for something better but it is hard to find something with buttons. Still ease of function nothing beats the ipod classic but it does not work well with ubuntu. I am not sure how the person above really got there ipad to sync native to ubuntu. I know for sure my Iphone gen one will not