PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] failed update of ubuntu 10.10

sharath2k2
January 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM
i have updated my ubuntu 10.10 through the update manager and the pc has asked me for a restart.when i restarted it,i see a screen indicating that grub thing.i cant access the ubuntu and its files.i tried a lot but cant do it.it happens every time i update it after the reinstall.it actually goes to command prompt and one line is press tab to know the possible commands.if i press boot it says kernel not found.:confused:.does this mean that i should not update the 10.10 at all??please help.thanks in advance

Rubi1200
January 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums :-)

How did you install Ubuntu; using Wubi?

If with Wubi, can you still boot Windows normally?

sharath2k2
January 5th, 2011, 03:10 AM
yes,i did it with the wubi only.i can run wondows normally.the only problem is with the ubuntu only.it goes into the grub and doesnot load the kernel at all.if i say boot,it gives a message "kernel not found"

bcbc
January 5th, 2011, 06:13 AM
yes,i did it with the wubi only.i can run wondows normally.the only problem is with the ubuntu only.it goes into the grub and doesnot load the kernel at all.if i say boot,it gives a message "kernel not found"

You can boot Ubuntu manually but you need to supply more than 'boot'. If you upgraded to 10.10 from 10.04 then see the link in Rubi1200's signature to the Wubi megathread. Look for Problem #2, Solution #2. Read through it and if you need more help post back.

If Solution #2 works, look for the Permanent Fix after you boot into Ubuntu.

sharath2k2
January 5th, 2011, 12:25 PM
can you please type in the link here.

presence1960
January 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
can you please type in the link here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198