PDA

View Full Version : Tron Legacy, What commands were used?

Mercenary(FH)
January 4th, 2011, 01:25 PM
So Im sure most of us have HOPEFULLY seen Tron Legacy, great movie. But anyways im sure this has been brought up, but I could've SWORN i saw Ubuntu appear in the terminal they were using at the encom meeting.

Anyways I know about Sam using the "top" command but I wonder what commands cillian murphy was putting in to stop the "barking dog" video. (im not really spoiling anything if u havent seen it)

I saw "Kill" and maybe a grep......but lets think realistically what he would've done to stop an application from running like that? Any ideas?

maybe some combination of grep to find the process id's (maybe newest process) then kill to get rid of it?

ssam
January 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM
i think he stopped the video with a

kill -9 ####
didn't catch what command he got the PID with, but it would probably be pgrep.

also when sam runs 'history' on his dads computer there were a bunch of 'make' and 'make install'.

there is a screen shot, http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/linux-top-command-used-in-tron-trailer/

Mercenary(FH)
January 4th, 2011, 02:24 PM
What does kill -9 #### do?

Grenage
January 4th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I room to recall whoami, just before I fell asleep. ;)

ssam
January 4th, 2011, 02:42 PM
What does kill -9 #### do?

kill 123
sends a TERM (terminate) signal to process 123. A program ought to stop when it receives this.

kill -9 123
sends a KILL, which a program cannot block.

there was a whoami, when he's at his dads terminal. then he try to log in as root, and fails, then he logs in with the username 'backdoor'

Mercenary(FH)
January 4th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Kinda random they'd use a number (like -9) to make it where it cannot block...

Grenage
January 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Kinda random they'd use a number (like -9) to make it where it cannot block...

There are multiple levels of kill...

Also, you don't actually have to kill something with kill - it can be used for other purposes.

spupy
January 4th, 2011, 11:28 PM
The computer at the arcade's basement was not only running TOP in a console, but one of the top running processes was an X server.

But as someone pointed out at omgubuntu, it most probably wasn't linux, since linux didn't exist at the time of the first movie. The windows' titles refer to some other OS, the name of which I forgot.

Primefalcon
January 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
how about just a
killall -9 barkingdog lol

jrdjrd
May 9th, 2011, 01:53 PM
The computer at the arcade's basement was not only running TOP in a console, but one of the top running processes was an X server.

But as someone pointed out at omgubuntu, it most probably wasn't linux, since linux didn't exist at the time of the first movie. The windows' titles refer to some other OS, the name of which I forgot.

It was SolarOS according to the the uname command...

Jamessharpshooter
June 1st, 2011, 12:18 AM
You want a clear view of the commands used?
http://work.gmunk.com/#1190825/TRON-Board-Room

Your welcome. :)